Bercil bought the burger from the McDonald’s restaurant at Stigs Center in Hisingen, just outside Gothenburg.
After taking a first bite, the nail pierced through his gum but the 47-year-old didn’t realise what had happened. A painful second helping revealed something sharp had become stuck in his mouth.
”The pain was indescribable,” he told newspaper Metro. Bercil was able to carefully remove the object and was shocked to discover it was a sharp metal nail, about two centimetres long.
”It was stuck between my teeth and gums,” he said. ” I managed to get it out but then I threw up. What if one of my children had got the burger instead?”
Staff at the McDonald’s restaurant in question are unable to explain how the nail ended up in the food.
”We saw the whole thing happen,” manager Axel Gustafsson admitted. “We have started an investigation and informed our suppliers but can only apologise.”
The incident has left Yusuf with a fear of fast food. ”We are going to make home-made burgers from now on,” he added.