War crimes suspect remanded in custody
AFP/The Local · 16 Jan 2010, 08:53
Published: 16 Jan 2010 08:53 GMT+01:00
His lawyer Ola Salomonsson told news agency AFP that the 43-year-old-man is to stay in custody for one month so far. "I've yet to decide whether we'll appeal (the custody order) or not," he added.
The man, whose name has not been released, was arrested in northern Sweden on Tuesday.
He is suspected of war crimes, murder, kidnapping and being an accessory to kidnapping between May and August 1992 when he was a prison guard at a detention camp for Bosnian Serb civilians, the Swedish Prosecution authority said in a statement Tuesday.
Salomonsson said his client "denied all the crimes that the prosecutor stated."
The prosecution authority said the suspect's arrest was the result of a "lengthy" investigation during which 70 people were questioned and for which "numerous countries," as well as the UN war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague, cooperated with Sweden in the investigation.