SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Murder suspect crashes victims’ memorial service

A 35-year-old man suspected of a double murder unexpectedly showed up at a memorial service arranged by the family of the victims, both of whom were recovered from a burned out vehicle in western Sweden.

The two charred bodies were found in the trunk of a car on an overpass across the E6 motorway near Getinge outside of Halmstad late in the evening on January 6th.

Only one of the victims has been positively identified, the 25-year-old son of the vehicle’s owner.

The other victim is thought to be a 42-year-old man.

The 35-year-old, who has a warrant out for his arrest on suspicions of murder, came to the memorial service in Värmland in western Sweden and introduced himself as a friend of the victims, TV4 reports.

“He came here, we listened to him and consoled him when he cried,” the 42-year-old’s brother told the local TV4 affiliate.

According to the police, there is a connection between the 42-year-old and the 35-year-old suspect.

Police believe the victims were killed with aggravated violence on a farm between Genarp and Dalby in Lund municipality.

Investigators also suspect that several people were involved in the killings.

A large pile of dirt has been taken from the murder scene, most likely on a trailer, to hide evidence that may have been left at the scene.

The 35-year-old has previously been convicted of several drug and traffic violations. He was also caught by customs officials in mid-September attempting to bring a small amount of cocaine across the Öresund Bridge in a case which has yet to be closed.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Blast outside nightclub in central Gothenburg

An explosion was reported early on Friday morning outside a nightclub on Avenyn, Gothenburg's main boulevard.

Blast outside nightclub in central Gothenburg

A glass door was damaged, spreading glass splinters, police press spokesperson Fredrik Svedemyr told TT newswire.  “Other than that, I haven’t received any information that there has been any worse damage,” he said. 

Sweden’s gang criminals have in recent years been using explosives stolen from building sites or purchased illegally, and sometimes hand grenades, to target and send signals to rival groups.

This has led to a spate of explosions in the stairwells of blocks of flats, in restaurants, and sometimes in corner shops. 

But these attacks tend to take place in the troubled suburbs of major cities and it is very rare for an explosion to happen in the city centre.

At the end of January an explosion rocked a restaurant in Södermalm in central Stockholm, leading to shocked headlines in the country. 

No one was injured in the Gothenburg blast, which occurred around 4 o’clock on Friday morning. It is not yet clear what caused it. Technicians are currently carrying out a forensic analysis of the scene, Svedemyr said.

The police bomb squad was called after the alarm was raised, with tram traffic in the area paused in the early morning.

Police are now working to establish why the affected nightclub may have been a target.

SHOW COMMENTS