SHARE
COPY LINK

MEDICAL

Mum endures c-section without anaesthetic

A woman has reported Lund University Hospital to Sweden's Medical Responsibility Board (HSAN) after being subjected to a caesarian section without the benefit of an anaesthetic.

The incident was never followed up by the hospital and no report was made of the extraordinary nature of the woman’s ordeal, according to local newspaper Sydsvenskan.

“I heard later that they had thrown the report away,” the woman told the newspaper.

The hospital has conceded that several mistakes were made during the operation as it became clear that the anaesthetic administered to the woman was not working.

During the procedure, the woman complained to the surgeon that she could still feel as layer upon layer of her abdomen was being cut through, but was told that it was too late to put her to sleep. She instead worked hard to try to stay calm.

The incident occurred at the maternity clinic, which told the newspaper that the circumstances would be reviewed and admitted that mistakes were made.

Päivi Kannisto, deputy head at the clinic, explained that the first mistake occurred when the anaesthetist expressed concern that the anaesthetic had not worked. But this was not perceived by the doctor conducting the operation.

The task of formulating a report over the incident was given to a trainee doctor – a further error, Kannisto conceded. The incident was never reported as the senior physician never saw the report.

The woman was furthermore denied the right to access her medical journal on request.

“We can only apologize that it turned out this way,” Kannisto told Sydsvenskan.

The woman and the child have now fully recovered from their ordeal.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MEDICAL

Woman dies hours after ambulance no-show

A hospital has been reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) after it chose against sending an ambulance to a woman with breathing problems who died hours later from blood clotting to her lungs.

Woman dies hours after ambulance no-show

Emergency workers from the Södra Älvsborg Hospital in southern Sweden suspected the patient, who was in her forties, was simply suffering from stomach flu when she called complaining of breathing problems, diarrhoea, and fever.

They chose against picking her up, advising the woman to stay at home, where she died several hours later, shortly after another ambulance arrived.

The coroner’s report showed that the woman died from blood clotting to her lungs, according to the Borås Tidning newspaper, something the nurses couldn’t have known from the woman’s own evaluation.

“It’s a tricky case, very unusual,” Jerker Isacson, chief of medicine at the hospital, told the paper.

The incident occurred earlier in the year when winter flu was in full force, and the emergency workers were overloaded with call outs.

The hospital itself has now reported the incident to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) in accordance with Sweden’s Lex-Maria laws, the informal name for regulations governing the reporting of injuries and incidents in the healthcare system.

“We want it to be evaluated and to investigate ourself how the paramedics acted the first time. We don’t know if it was the right judgment when they were there. The nurses made no obvious mistakes or errors,” Isacson said.

“The patient had good information but we want to be as sure as possible that something similar will not happen again.”

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

SHOW COMMENTS