• Sweden's news in English

Malaysian demonstrators burn Swedish flag

TT/The Local · 26 Mar 2010, 12:58

Published: 26 Mar 2010 12:58 GMT+01:00

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Around 200 demonstrators from Muslim groups turned out in Kuala Lumpur to protest the caricatures which depict the prophet as a dog. The demonstrators handed over a letter of protest to Sweden's ambassador in Malaysia, Helena Sångeland.

"They want to protest against the the publication of Lars Vilks' drawings in Swedish newspapers. Their demand is that the Swedish government acts against the Swedish newspapers which published the pictures and also against Lars Vilks," Helena Sångeland told news agency TT.

The demonstration ended with the pulling down of the Swedish embassy's flag, which was then burned.

"It was very surprising and something that we can not tolerate. We have reported the matter to the police," Sångeland said.

According to the ambassador the youth league for the main Islamic party, PAS, and several other Muslim organisation threatened a boycott of Swedish products in demonstrations held a couple of weeks ago.

A smaller demonstration with only a handful of participants was held outside the embassy on Thursday. On that occasion the Malaysian right-wing group Pertubuhan Pribumi Perkasa Malaysia (Perkasa) handed over a protest letter.

Despite angry reactions from many in Malaysia, the ambassador does not consider there to be any risk for Swedish visitors to the country.

"Absolutely not. Nor can I see that our bilateral relations should change because of this," she said.

The controversy started when Swedish regional daily Nerikes Allehanda published Vilks' satirical cartoon in 2007 to illustrate an editorial on the importance of freedom of expression.

The cartoon prompted protests by Muslims in the town of Örebro, west of Stockholm, where the newspaper is based, while Egypt, Iran and Pakistan made

Story continues below…

formal complaints.

An Al-Qaeda front organisation then offered $100,000 to anyone who murdered Vilks - with an extra $50,000 if his throat was slit - and $50,000 for the death of Nerikes Allehanda editor-in-chief Ulf Johansson.

The protests in Sweden echoed the uproar caused in Denmark by the publication in September 2005 of 12 drawings focused on Islam, including one showing the prophet Muhammad with a turban in the shape of a bomb.

TT/The Local (news@thelocal.se)

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Your comments about this article

13:28 March 26, 2010 by babashki
''The demonstration ended with the pulling down of the Swedish embassy's flag, which was then burned.''

Where the hell are the guards? Why didnt they act?

I tell if this happened to the American embassy they wouldn't get passed the border check.
13:30 March 26, 2010 by occassional
Have the able bodied men and youths in the picture above taken the morning off work to go and do a spot of flag burning or what?
13:30 March 26, 2010 by glamelixir
It is interesting how muslims talk about tolerance when building mosques all over Sweden, but can't tolerate the freedom of speech this country lives in.

Because that publication was not more than that, a newspaper and a contry respecting freedom of speech, some might agree, some might not, some might love it, some might hate it. What do they expect us? to live in the censorship they are used to?

Burning the flag is far too much of a violent provocation, and totally uncivilized.

I would have really hope that sweden would finally stand for itself and break diplomatic relations with malaysia.
13:30 March 26, 2010 by eZee.se
Oh yes, lets behead the newspapers... then flog the cartoonist on the streets for 7 days,

this cant be tolerated anymore.

Then lets go to the Saudi embassy and burn their flag and hand over a letter of protest as to how they treat women in Saudi, that should do wonders to make then change their ways too.

13:37 March 26, 2010 by Åskar
@babashki, "Where the hell are the guards?"

What guards? In most(?) cases around the World there are no guards at embassies.
13:59 March 26, 2010 by CanadianInSweden
@babashki ..yeah exactly,if it were american or almost any other counties embassy they would have been full of bullets the second they made it onto the grounds,and rightfully so,technically thats invading foreign territory.

@glamelixir ...exactly, hypocrites.. personally if someone wants to burn my countries flag,i dont necessarily care very much(as long as they do it from there own country...but as for them coming to my country and complaining like the Muslims do here in Sweden(my adopted country) that i care about,whatever you do in your country is fine with me...dont come to mine and tell me i need to change my life or views in anyway.if you dont like how things are here or our views of your society,your more then welcome to leave
14:11 March 26, 2010 by nakiboyinsweden
This is now getting ridiculous! This is not a tolerant religeon and anyone who tries to argue that it is, is kidding themselves. The uneducated and fundamental factions of this religeon are now getting out of control and i for one refuse to chip into the freedoms of speech that this country and many western countries allow in order to accommodate an irrational group of people.

And im annoyed that burning a flag or burning an effigy is given any importance these days. Symbols are only powerful if we choose to give it that power.. I really dont care what flags or effigies they burn. keep polluting your their own land if they wish :).

p.s this was just over a cartoon.. can you imagine if the rational public in sweden turned around and burnt an effigy of mohamed? ooohweeeee!... but we wouldnt, because we are educated and rational.
14:14 March 26, 2010 by hilt_m
yeah no guards on Swedish embassies or security. I went to the one in Thailand, it was just a floor in a building, at least the Australian on was guarded and security gated.
14:27 March 26, 2010 by Nemesis
A suggestion.

Lets have a public burning of the Malaysian flag from the Malaysian embassy in Stockholm.
14:30 March 26, 2010 by Celc
Thank you for supporting the flag making businesses of Sweden, let me know if you need more.

As for shooting people for burning flags, what is wrong with you people. It's a flag, who cares. The only thing that was hurt was some peoples sensibilities. You are thinking just like the flag burners calling out bloody murder for a couple of cartoon, buncha weirdos.
14:41 March 26, 2010 by nakiboyinsweden
M-Larson... it seems a waste of time to actually even respond to that childing post as it was clearly written by a 10 yo but drawing a cartoon about a religeous leader does not amount to a hate crime.. And it certainly isnt on par with burning a nations flag which I would consider to be more of a hate crime. The cartoon in no way cuts in on any religeous right! Just as the milions of cartoons depicting Jesus, Budha and various Hindu gods have not stopped any of those religeons from carrying on their religeous practices..

Why should Islam be any different? The religeon is not being banned or having its wings clipped in any way.. can the same be said for religeous freedom of other religeons in islamic countries? Do you know that people are arrested for trying to simply bring in a bible into certain islamic countries?

Everyone should be free to believe whatever they want to as long as it does not affect my own personal freedoms. You can curse out my non-religeous beliefs or draw a cartoon to try and offend me if you wish.., i dont care.. it wont affect my beliefs.. I wont be taking a match to a piece of cloth in frustration.
14:50 March 26, 2010 by Per Johansson52
Where was the police when protesters in Stockholm Sweden punched the Iranian embassy diplomats?

You should respect the freedom of choice if someone burn the flag what is the problem.... Just chill chill just chill.
15:02 March 26, 2010 by calebian22
Malaysia what a great country. Oh wait, only if you are a Melay. Until equal opportunity is extended to their minority groups, no one in the west should listen to anything they demand.
15:09 March 26, 2010 by jackiejunkie
Wft is wrong with these islamist junkies...??!! Instead of burning flags and protesting everywhere they get shelters, they should contemplate why only their religion is treated like this, and may be try to change their extremist practices!! I was no Islam hater few years back, but the more muslims I see and know, I hate it more!! I haven't even met a single muslim who is not extremist!!
15:23 March 26, 2010 by jazzIIIlove
jerk offs.

Sweden must think deportation for the ones sharing the same perception since they are threat to freedom of speech. I cannot understand why one cannot be respectful for the others idea. Maybe they must enroll the course Humanity and Civilization 101 in life.
15:29 March 26, 2010 by sebseb
They can burn the Swedish flag as much as they want to, who cares! It is just a piece of clothes with a cross on it. Secularize and educated people won't cry about it.

Uneducated people and narrow-minded religious minds in Malaysia make me laugh!

Malaysia, another country on my banned countries for eventual travel.
15:35 March 26, 2010 by goth
Sure, its all great to express oneself freely, but what has happened to respect. The Prophet Muhammed is every Muslim's role model.

I just don't see the point of these cartoons. They are not in the least bit amusing. It seems as though they have been drawn just to upset Muslims around the world.

We lose core values to defend "freedom of speech" sometimes. SOmetimes its better to just be quiet.
15:46 March 26, 2010 by Venturisection
I feel that some people are being cowardly. Leave them alone don't poke fun at their religion?

The people who do things in the name of religion spread lies and fear. They bully entire countries with their nonscense whilst at the same time insulting other religions and cultures forcing their own particular brand of deciet lies and intimidation on others, DO NOT STAND FOR IT DO NOT ALLOW THESE UNCULTURED SWINE TO BULLY YOU INTO SUBMISSION!!!

An Imam that spreads hatred towards gays and jews is about to give a speach in sweden. Some cartoonist draws a picture of the prophet Mohammed.

So you think we should stop the drawing of the prophet Mohammed..... no sir that is ridiculous that just gives power to the extremists, they should not do unto others that they cannot accept done to themselves.

Also freedom of speach? This is not America, Freedom of Speach is great but that doesn't mean you have to go around being the worlds biggest ..... because someone drew a picture. Its ungentlemanly and ungainly.

These people areridiculous. They act like mobs and get ridiculously aggressive. Their oppressive tactics should not be allowed to spread to the west, freedom of religion and freedom of speech is all well and good but when it is a threat to an entire population, they should be considered as what they are oppressive hostile acts which are tantimount to psychological terrorism.

Also i'm not saying one religion is better than another noooo I'm saying they're all nonsense. Its time people grew up and stopped wasting their lives and money on religious nonsense. If you need religion to be a good person you're deluding yourself. If you need it for meaning in your life, you're wasting your time. Its complete and utter nonsense.

Its old incompetant idiocy and Muslin Extremists are the worst, even at Guantanamo they started pandering to them by letting the Extremists force everyone to their way of thinking, this infectious theological idiocy has to stop.

For your senses

Read some Dawkins or some Hitchens or Daniel Dennet for crying out loud or Carl Sagan or something!!!

For Entertainment

And they better not pander to those lunatics in Malaysia they are offensive disgraceful lunatics.
15:54 March 26, 2010 by Iraniboy
@glamelixir amd CanadianinSweden

"It is interesting how muslims talk about tolerance when building mosques all over Sweden, but can't tolerate the freedom of speech this country lives in."

The answer is so simple! Because these are Mr A, B, C,.. and those are Mr X, Y,Z,... And they are different people with different people like the difference between you and Brad Pit and George Bush.

As long as there are people like you and these wannabe Muslims who seek to punish a groups of people for someone's faults we would see the world in crisis.
15:57 March 26, 2010 by jackiejunkie
@goth, ofcourse they are drawn to upset Muslims (or "to insult" ins their language) to remind them that they are a bunch of jihadi hypocrites. May be they have the Prophet as their role model, but I don't think the prophet taught them to kill in the name of religion (or to blow embassies, vehicles, temples, or WTC).
16:09 March 26, 2010 by glamelixir
@ M-Larson

hahahhahaha. I lLOVE you elementary level of discussion, it takes away the seriousness of the debate and turns it into entertainment (just the way American TV does paradoxically), it is nice for a while so I will actually let you know that yeeeeap, mi ass is white but unfortunetly not fat so you were half close in your attempt to insult me :P

BTW when you actually can discuss things from an objective and rational point of view then we can do so, if you can't understand beyong the abstraction and representation of my comment, well... I guess there is nothing I can do as I don't have the patience people like @nakiboyinsweden has to make it understandable even for another totalitarian narrow minded like yours.

Now, the Pope from the Roman catholic church is made fun of in cartoons all around the world and I haven't seen these fuzz about it. What is the big deal?

I am nor Swedish neither a muslim so I am trying to give an opinion from a neutral point of view. If someone makes fun of my religious figure in a cartoon I wouldn't find it as violent as going to the embassy of my country, tearing down and burning the flag. That is violent and threatening so that is why my solidarity here goes to the Swedish nation.
16:16 March 26, 2010 by StockholmSam
I agree with Goth.

With freedom of speech comes great responsibility. In order to honor the people who died giving us such a right, we have to use it wisely, not flippantly. Vilk's cartoon was highly irresponsible because he and everyone involved in the process of getting it published knew it would incite a whole world of people against Sweden and against Swedes. There are better ways of fostering free speech; Vilks' attempt was clumsy and not really constructive in the least.

...In addition, it was clear evidence that he should not be a cartoonist...have you folks seen the cartoon? My 8-year-old could produce a better picture than that...

This whole episode has been more destructive of Sweden's intrests than constructive. The social, cultural, political, and economic costs have been far higher and more easily measurable than any benefits that might have come out of it, and how would you measure those benefits, anyway? It has brought about boycotts of Swedish products and in this competitive global economy, with a recession hurting Swedish workers, the last thing we want is to hurt our already limited competitive edge. Plus, it has damaged the leverage we have politically with Muslim countries. They can now rationalize their lack of cooperation with Sweden's demands. Culturally and socially, this serves to alienate muslims in Sweden and build up barriers between people. Yes, I see the value of addressing Islam's inequalities and general lack of human rights, but there are smarter ways to approach the issues that can involve and engage the muslims in Sweden. This idiotic cartoon eroded lots of hard work that went into getting the muslim community more engaged in Swedish society. And what few understand is that the best way to eliminate Islamic fundamentalism is by reaching out to the young muslims that live in Sweden, because they are not interested in strict Islam...they like iPods and Adidas and H&M style and western movies, all the trappings of western freedom and democracy. The more we alienate them in Sweden, the easier it is for fundies to attract them as teenagers and the greateer foothold fundamental Islam gets in Sweden.

I think Islam and most religions are ridiculous. I also think the fundy Islamists calling for his death are complete idiots. But I also think Vilks' is a moron for having pushed this the way he did. He needs to have his head slapped hard to knock some sense into him. I'd bet my monthly paycheck that he absolutely regrets his actions. Imagine living in fear with guards everywhere and legions of people out to kill you for a $200,000 reward. That is no way to live. He is getting what he deserves.
16:26 March 26, 2010 by KipHamilton
Sweden has bent over backwards to mollify and appease Muslim demands. It will do little good, as the demands will only increase. Of course, the problem is that the demands so often are not reasonable. "Respect our religion and prophet" they cry, while outlawing or persecuting other religions in many of their own territories. Don't fall for this double-standard

foolishness in the name of tolerance.
16:27 March 26, 2010 by Nora
@ M-Larson: what a childish, uncivilized and reacting (I used the word reacting as there is no "thinking" involved).

@ Iraniboy: What an irrelevant reasoning. People are divers (the sky is high), so what? does it give a damn right to burn a country's flag or to walk naked in Sergelstorg, cause I am doing so in my tribe?

@ glamelixir: It's not needed to be a non-Muslim and non-Swedish to be neutral. just have a rational thinking! However, being rational most often exclude one from the first but most probably not from the second group!
17:31 March 26, 2010 by Thepartygirl
The people behind the demonstrations are a small minority of fanatics and do not represent the interests or views of the whole country. Most of those who took part are there to raise the profile of their own political parties and promote their own fanatical agenda.

There are loads of Malaysians in Sweden who embrace Sweden's way of life and despite all the great stuff that makes Malaysia unique, hate the politics and race agendas which spoil an otherwise nice place to live/visit.

The more people get angry, the more these idiots win. They are mere attention seekers and we should let them huff and puff on their own.
17:31 March 26, 2010 by Uncle
"Sure, its all great to express oneself freely, but what has happened to respect. The Prophet Muhammed is every Muslim's role model."

that is indeed correct.

He was a great warrior who always preached elimination of infidels and who was married to a 6 y/o girl. Actually the ceremony took place when she was 6, but he humbly waited until she will be of the respected age of 9 to receive her into his house to perform her female duties.

Oh he was also married to his own cousin.

No lie - this is the Quran...
17:35 March 26, 2010 by Nordic Prince
@M-Larson "Just leave them alone for Christ's sake!" #14

We will never ever leave Muslims alone, we will always do the following:

1- Support Israel emotionally and with money to kill their kids, women and elderly people. We will support Israelis with weapons, fighters and rockets to kill all Muslims and use the white phosphorus like they used in Gaza. We will ask our doctors tp steal the Muslim's organs.

2- US + EU will always send troops to destroy their countries such as (Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen,....).

3- We will always disrespect their culture, traditions, religions and themselves.

And more....

And, check this out! If a muslim open his mouth complaining or burning a flag then we will arrest him in Guantanamo and insult him and all his nation and call them terrorists

Do you know why??? Because these are our principles, values and manners!
17:44 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@Nordic Prince

Well Done! Though, you've forgotten to put the signature. Anyway, I'll do that for you.

" Do you know why??? Because these are our principles, values and manners!

Best regards,

EU + USA "


"Oh he was also married to his own cousin."

Have you ever been in a school - hahaha always making fool out of yourself - you never learn

Go moron and read the Indian culture and who they marry, Arab culture and who they marry,....etc then comment
17:48 March 26, 2010 by knut.nilsson
Most people in Malaysia don't even care about the cartoon issue. Initially, the morons who burnt the Swedish flag called for a MILLION people to demonstrate with them after Friday prayers. Only 200 turned out.
18:12 March 26, 2010 by glamelixir
@ Nora

I know that, I said it to explain to MR Larson that is not that I am speaking from only taking a side as he is doing.
18:32 March 26, 2010 by Per Johansson52
I can see Swedes are mad because of insult to their flags. The same apply to Muslims who love more than anything their Prophet Muhammad.

If you want to respect in return then you must not do stupid thing by using freedom of speech or what so ever. I dont know who used this stupid word first time in EU. Freedom of speech,choice,media,foods,country.politics so many shits starts with politics and has so much problem.

There is no such a word in Islamic countries they have one law and it covers all and they dont need to argue everyday over which freedom we should use.

F```` dis sort of word
19:13 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
Oh why all of you are angry ?? didn't you say that there must be a freedom to express people feelings and the artist applied this on his feelings when he painted prophet Mohammad and people in Malaysia did the same things, do you want to keep fooling around some people hate Mohammad and some people hate the people who hate Mohammad this the life!!!
19:15 March 26, 2010 by izbz
Am now Swedish citizen, came from Malaysia more than 6 years ago. PAS party runs the east coast of Malaysia, are mostly fanatiics. In malaysia, religion is an issue than no boby make fun off. Whether it be muslim, buddhist, hindu or Christianity, most of the people there will try their best to not criticise another religion. Especially Mohammad with a dog body, Man!!!!! you are asking for trouble.

Me no muslim but Lars is definately asking for trouble. Don't even try to tell me it is freedom of expression in art. As a buddhist I can only say respect whatever others believe in. But burning of the Swedish flag is way too much. Lars might have been dumb....but the Swedish newspaper printing the dog body Mohammad shoukl have known the consequences. Have ignite a spark of fire for no good reason. Is it really worth it?
19:29 March 26, 2010 by sleepinacoffin
I just feel so sorry for sweden...This country has done almost what she could to become the best Muslim country on the earth but other fellow Muslim countries still want her to be more sharia....or whatever...

So, dear swedes and beautiful sweden, what are you gonna do?

Yeh, let's take in more and more Muslim refugees....i mean real more and more......

BTW, someone says that swedes are mad at that their flag was lit? MMMMM.....i seriously doubt this....for a country that has national day for only two years....mmmm....I dnt think so
19:34 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
Sweden is the land of freedom and I like this fact and will defend it as long as I am a live but why there are many people in Sweden who have Swedish blood and flush want to crush it ???

It's very logical and sensible and easy to realize that Muslims world wide sanctify prophet Mohammad and do not consider him as a prime minister or a king but he represents a huge religion and this can not be denied so abuse prophet Mohammad means that Muslims and Islams have been abused too, so why we don't keep away from these things? because Muslims will not ever accept anyone to abuse Jesus or any holy character, so for people who love and adore the peace between the others, why you persist to defend LARS opinion although you know that will simply create an aversion between many nations???

Does LARS deserve to create such these things between people???

Where is the happy nation song of "Ace of base" ??

Do not you think that there is a big different between what Lars did and what we aim to achieve in the sunny future??
19:50 March 26, 2010 by Torvig
I have two dogs. Both of them are very good dogs. One is not named mohammed, the other is happier, though I love both of them equally.
19:56 March 26, 2010 by omansour
Its really sad to see some comments which do not stand with ethical conduct and accuse Islam and other religions to be ridiculous. Its also sad to overreact and burn the flag of another country. Drawing the prophet of Islam has been a controversial issue for a few years now. My only question about this: How could it be possible to draw someone with more than a billion follower in the world and in a provocative way with the "freedom of speech" label? Apart from religion isn't it immoral and unethical to offend others in any way? So why would anyone be provocative to the feelings of millions of people and draw these pictures? what ethical or informational purposes would these pictures be drawn for? If freedom of speech should not be bounded within ethical boundaries then this is a false, contaminated freedom. Different cultures and societies should have mutual respect. I think the Western Buzz against Islam should be stopped. There are of course extremist in the Muslim world and unfortunately they use religion in their illusionary fight against the west which in fact fostered this endless controversy about Islam, but extremist are everywhere and they cause a lot of harm to everyone. Muslims are very much hurt by these extremists. For instance, burning the flag of Sweden is never a recommended behavior by Islam. Judgement should not be based on Muslims' behaviors but rather on Islam itself. Then you may have some criticism and it should provoke a civilized discussion to know about Islam. Muslims men and women are living in their societies more or less just like Europeans but unfortunately the eye is always centered on those who wear Bura' (BTW Muslims make fun of them in their own societies) which is really a biased behavior. For me, the Islamic world is responsible about the continued buzz against Islam. They should invest their money for researchers to exchange and discuss with westerners about Islam and also bound the effect of those extremists. They have done a lot of harm to Islam and Muslims. Also, the west with no doubt is a civilized culture with all the developments and virtues, should also work towards bridging the gap between east and west and allow for more integration instead of just keep arguing against each other. As a muslim, I don't accept to use the label of freedom of speech to harm the feelings even of one person and I don't think burning a flag is a proper way to dead with it. Just don't let your anger or your personal beliefs drive you to talk or behave in an offensive, uncivilized way towards others; humans shall always try to make bridges not destroy them.
19:59 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
I have two TORVIG(s) both of them are not comfortable at all, one is named TORVIG an the other is for walking because it is not heavy duty that's why I wanna throw it away in the nearest trash and will keep the first because it's better.
20:06 March 26, 2010 by Zonob
To all those hypocrites crying "freedom of speech". It is not freedom of speech. This is a hate crime and it should be treated as such. Most of you, hypocrites, would be insulted if your mothers were made fun of in a similar way. You would get mad and sue the ones responsible and throw the fictitious "freedom of speech" mask behind you. Just admit that hatred is your motivation and don't hide behind shields.
20:15 March 26, 2010 by wxman
Welcome to the new third world Europe! Please step over here for your burka issue. Next Please!
20:23 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson

Freakin' hilarious..... hahahahahahahaha
20:26 March 26, 2010 by Mike #1986
the swedish flag exist so does sweden thats what I call disrespect and illegal

the prophet muhammad doesn't exist its' fiction especially that nonsense cartoon.

and what the Malaysians did and fellow Muslims do is terrorism and a disgrace.

bloody race should be all deported back to there hole they came from...
20:32 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@Mike #1986 "bloody race "

Islam is a religion Not a race you bloody lumpen!
20:33 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@ Mike #1986

You are thinking in the same which the Malaysians did because they want the Swedes to be deported from their land and that's why they attacked our embassy there so you are terrorist exactly like them, UP TO YOUR OPINION.
20:41 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@jaradat_omar #46 "our embassy there"

Huh? 'Omar' is Swedish ........Freakin' hilarious..... hahahahahahahaha I love your loyality and the way you used 'our'
20:52 March 26, 2010 by Twiceshy
It is always the same. The muslims say .... is it freedom to offend 1.5 billion towelheads all over the world with the muhamid dog.

Then, we read this:


Gay-hate imam to speak at Swedish conference

So, it is OK for muslims to speak hate and upset people all over the rest of the world - just not OK for the rest of the world to upset muslims.!

As long as we know where we stand.

And if we get upset - we talk about it.

When they get upset - they burn your flags or blow you up.

Such a religion of peace and love. I think the cartoon was right on!
20:52 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Hahahahahahha....Don't you like the idea of Omar is Swede.... really funny... you must accept it sooner or later because this is the fact I don't have to be Omarsson to be a loyal or real Swede, loyalty can't be measured by names!!! it's only measured by the achievements, try to ask your ancestors.
20:54 March 26, 2010 by Uncle
I love that these forums show so well the reality... Some muslims here do actually add constructive opinions and argue their cause.

Other muslims are the most aggressive, the most childish, the most hateful people who write in here... What is interesting they are actually the majority of the most aggressive and attacking people.

Seems that they are like this in everything... While this repulsive part both in forums and in the real life shadows all the constructive arguments and draw all the attention to themselves, at the same time alienating the most moderate opposition.

20:56 March 26, 2010 by saucymugwump
omansour wrote: If freedom of speech should not be bounded within ethical boundaries then this is a false, contaminated freedom.

Western countries have evolved freedom of speech that is only bounded by public safety; for example, people are prohibited from yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theatre. Muslims think that freedom of speech should be limited to prevent someone's feelings from being hurt. You are entitled to your opinion but what you are not entitled to do is demand that we change our way of life in our own country.

omansour wrote: Different cultures and societies should have mutual respect.

I agree. Please respect our values when you visit Western countries.
21:02 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

I am really shocked from your way of thinking !!

first go and read the link which you have just submitted clearly, and be wise before submitting any comment!!

but anyway ...

Do you think that guiding horny gays to the right way and to be normal males can be measured such as abusing a whole nation ??

This is very embarrassed!!!
21:07 March 26, 2010 by peropaco
@Twiceshy . Indeed. A great deal of Muslims are brilliant at double standards. It is perfectly acceptable for them to invite a known hate monger to come to Sweden and fill their Einstein-like brains with more intolerance and hate; yet, the moment someone draw the picture of a fictitious character they get bend out of shape and cry to slice his neck open.
21:12 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Hey wake up!!

We are not visitors, we are citizens!!

Who can come and set a definition of the FREEDOM do you want to make it fixable just like TERRORISM???

US government defined the TERRORISM to be flexible in order to kill and occupy anybody whenever they want and pretext with " This is a TERRORISM ".

Do you want to do the same with FREEDOM to abuse whoever you want because of your FREEDOM in the last people who identify the vocabulary are human just like you and me and they can be flexible and unlimited up to their imaginations, I don't care of anyone as long as I am abused !!!
21:14 March 26, 2010 by Uncle
"Do you think that guiding horny gays to the right way and to be normal males can be measured such as abusing a whole nation ??

This is very embarrassed!!! "

Omar do you think that guiding an aggressive and violent nation, who still did not realize the light of the Christ faith and love and still follows some other religion compares to insulting people who are genetically different from you?

This is very embarassed!!!
21:19 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@jaradat_omar #49

I really don't wanna put you in this situation, but since you are a goon who cornered himself, then, I got to seize the opportunity and ask you something:

Since you are loyal and devoted to Sweden as you have expressed. So tell me: Do you go with the Swedish troops to hunt down your fellow muslims in Afghanistan "Taliban" ?

Or, if a war happened between Sweden Vs. Saudi Arabi .... so do go you shoot bullets on the Saudi people in Mecca, Jeddah, Medina ... etc ???
21:22 March 26, 2010 by saucymugwump
goth wrote: The Prophet Muhammed is every Muslim's role model.

That is very true. The Prophet Muhammad married his favorite wife Aisha (or Aishah) when she was 6-7 and consumated the marriage when she was 9. He was born in 570 and Aisha was born in 614. That would have made him 53 (-+ 1) when he first had sex with her.

The Ayatollah Khomeini (the first one) married a 10 year old girl. He called it a "divine blessing."

This is why you see men in their 40s or 50s marrying 10 or 11 year old girls in Islamic countries, because everything The Prophet Muhammad did is to be emulated.
21:35 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Genetically ..... hahahahhahaha

Homo-sex is a mental illness not genetic and this is your mission to read more and to enrich your background.

You should know that there is a big different between Gay and shemales, as what I told you go get more from your trusted resource even I can send you some.

Really weird!!
21:49 March 26, 2010 by omansour

Thanks for your comment. I also agree with you that we should respect our different values. And when we do that we will not find as Muslims pictures depicting the prophet in an offensive, meaningless way.

Worth to be mentioned also, that there are lots of well-educated, civilized, and true Muslims in EU and the US who are just an integral part of the society and contribute to its development, and these are an investment for the western society and they are bounded to western values. But unfortunately as I said before we also have some who really enjoy being in a position to defend whatever in the name of Islam. The problem is not with these "extremists" but with ignoring those who really represent Islam in their lives, behavior, relationships, work, etc.

But to comment on your post about the prophet, I think this would not be something to be regarded as "mutual respect". I am sorry to say that your information is not reliable and doesn't contribute to the respect-building behavior. The Islamic/Arabic world doesn't allow this and before that Islam is very clear about it. 10 YO girls do not get married to a 50 YO man. If Ayatoallah is doing it then its his fault and that doesn't mean he's following the prophet and Islam.

What I always talk with my western friends and colleagues is that I invite them to see how people are living there. You should not doubt that there people living more openly than people living at the middle of Stockholm or Paris. A fair-mind person will then realize that all our discussions and differences are just a result of the political manipulation in which we have no role or benefit!

Here in Europe, I met people who have slept with lots of women, which is really an odd behavior. The Local, always reports cases about rapes
21:54 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

OOOOH how poor are you ? Do you think all Americans went to Iraq to prove their loyalty :) You really have weird way of thinking? My religion ordered me to work side by side with anyone to build the earth and the is what prophet Mohammad said but did you notice your message?? Your way of thinking wants to put me in the corner and want me to kill the people regardless of their religion!!! SO YOU ARE THINKING OF WARS WISE. Brother Larson I'm not religious as you think I'm very normal but when I have to fight someone I have to know: 1- Why should I fight? 2- What will I gain if I fight someone? 3- What the change which I aim to achieve? I advise you to go to Migrationsverket and suggest to let them ask any applicant whether he or she agree to fight in the mentioned lands ??? and the decision will take place up to her or his answer ??? Really Funny!!!
22:02 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@jaradat_omar #60

First of all, I am not your brother.

Second, your smartass reply was uncall for, just get to the point answer my question. Guess what? I'll play your game and give you a scenario:

Assume Saudi Arabia attacked sweden by rockets and fighters, of course,Sweden has the right to reply back, so do you go with the swedish army to attack Saudi arabia ?
22:09 March 26, 2010 by saucymugwump
omansour wrote: The Islamic/Arabic world doesn't allow this and before that Islam is very clear about it. 10 YO girls do not get married to a 50 YO man

Prove me wrong. In what year was the Prophet Muhammad born? In what year was Aisha (Aishah) born?

Then look at http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/magazine/09BRI.html. You will see two photos of 11-year-old girls getting married to 40-55 year-old men. I do not think it is much better if the girl is 11 instead of 10.
22:15 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Yes my brother I will do and before you!!!

But your assumption was so poor and reflects your poor knowledge of east side, Do you really think that Muslim countries will attack us even if they had the power to do ?!!!

If you hate to call you as brother I will replace it by man even I bet you that if you meet me you would like to be a brother of mine, but now stop imaging me because you don't even know my mentality but I want to tell you something "it's very hurt to love people while they hate you to the max!!!

So man, the only way to spread the brotherhood is interacting peaceful with the others regardless of their religions.

I can not abuse Muslims, Christians, Jews, theists, non - theist ...etc because I have no idea about their way of thinking and I am sure that %99 of the commenter here have no more %1 idea of Mohammad or even Jesus Christ.

Believe me you must read more and more about any one before abusing him!!
22:28 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@saucymugwump #60

Since you've cornered the market with facts and resources. I'll prove to you that you are fool.

Aisha or Aishah was engaged to another man before Muhammad, which means: the culture, traditions and the social construction allow such thing.

Also, the man who you hate "Muhammad" was married to some women who are elder than him and he never slept with. He married them just to take care of them financially and help them.

So stop being a fool, wake up and read some facts then open your mouth!
22:33 March 26, 2010 by omansour

Aisha was older than him.

And you're right about this news and its really disgusting. But whats wrong is to make the connection between such irresponsible behavior and the prophet. The Quran and Sunna guide Muslims to marry those who have suitable age with each other.

And let me tell you the same as I tell my Swedish, British, Spanish, German friends, come and see how Muslims are living in their countries. Its far beyond the picture you have. Do not generalize anything, Arabs in the Arab world has an even harsher stance that you have about such cases. Please go there and live with people, a kind of action research, and then you will understand how misleading the misconceptions some westerns have in their minds. I feel very happy when I talk to people in Europe who know what I am saying because they either visited the Arab world or have done some reliable research. We, of course, have a lot of societal problems, and for me traditional habits are replacing the very principles of Islam, which is so dangerous and my own personal opinion is that these traditions are causing us much trouble. I hope you will have the opportunity to go there and see with your eyes my words translated into actions.
22:34 March 26, 2010 by Nordic Prince
@jaradat_omar #63

Re-read @M-Larson comments and other comments of previous posts regarding Muslims and Islam. Then, judge him!

You are officially insane!

BTW, sometimes when you try to use word 'bro' to get close to someone you don't know, then, this puts you in a weak situation! You shouldn't act like that...
22:49 March 26, 2010 by saucymugwump
To jaradat_omar:

I will rephrase M-Larson's query. But first I will give the accepted definition of a conscientious objector (CO): someone who refuses to employ violence regardless of the situation. A CO is often described as a pacifist.

Suppose a few radical Muslims from country X hijack ferries, fill them with explosives, and drive them to the most crowded Stockholm tourist docks during the summer. Hundreds of Swedes and other nationalities are killed. Sweden decides to invade country X. You are drafted. You have two choices: 1) grab a rifle and start fighting or 2) declare yourself to be a CO. As a CO, you will be required to perform medical duties, in other words, assisting doctors and nurses who are treating Swedish soldiers. You may be required to perform as a medic, someone who drags wounded soldiers to safety while bullets are flying past your head.

If you refuse either choice because you will not participate in any action against Muslims, then you are not a Swedish citizen and you should deport yourself to a Muslim country. If you become violent in your refusal, then you are the equivalent of Nidal Malik Hasan, the Fort Hood, Texas killer, not to mention being a complete hypocrite (read the definition of pacifist again if you do not understand).
22:54 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
I am not using brother to be close to someone as you think because I will not meet you and drink vodka together, but in same time I do not consider myself in the war and beg you to not kill me...

You know what?? I'm regretting every single minute I wasted it here talking to you.

BTW, This is not your business and no body called you to be a lawyer and defend my comments because I am not attacking.

Oh, by the way, if you feel that you are in a war so you can imagine my tank has been blew up and I'm dead now.. :)

This means that you won so Gratis!!!
22:59 March 26, 2010 by Venturisection
"19:13 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Oh why all of you are angry ?? didn't you say that there must be a freedom to express people feelings and the artist applied this on his feelings when he painted prophet Mohammad and people in Malaysia did the same things, do you want to keep fooling around some people hate Mohammad and some people hate the people who hate Mohammad this the life!!!"

Sorry your point is not related to the topic. The topic is they want the Cartoonist dealt with so they burned the flag in protest, and if they change the law to such idiocy because some muslim nitwits get all hot and bothered over a drawing of some farcical nonsense called religion, the world will really end.

Do not pander to the muslim extremists, a hard line needs to be taken and an attitude of not tolerating this childish behaviour from imbeciles needs to be taken.

I reiterate an earlier statement. If you follow a Religion you are deluding yourself into believing in something that cannot be proven and as far as Science is concerned has not done anything for anyone.

Religion is archaic nonsense 1000s of years old out of date stories that have no place in modern society. Cling to your childish ludicrous beliefs if you must but don't force it on others, converting, hurting spreading your miserable lies in such decietful ways. Religion is currently the most evil thing in the world and I hope people just stop it. Its pointless. There is obsolutely no point in religion.
23:03 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@ saucymugwump

After reading your scenario I swear that I will try to achieve them both ... Not only because I am Swede but also because I hate the radical persons regardless of their religion.

Person who thinks that he can pretext with the religion to kill others doesn't deserve the breath not only the life.
23:09 March 26, 2010 by Nordic Prince

You said "I bet you that if you meet me you would like to be a brother of mine" why you are so confused?


BTW, vodka is not good for your health unless you are married to russian chick!
23:10 March 26, 2010 by Venturisection
"22:54 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

I am not using brother to be close to someone as you think because I will not meet you and drink vodka together, but in same time I do not consider myself in the war and beg you to not kill me...

You know what?? I'm regretting every single minute I wasted it here talking to you.

BTW, This is not your business and no body called you to be a lawyer and defend my comments because I am not attacking.

Oh, by the way, if you feel that you are in a war so you can imagine my tank has been blew up and I'm dead now.. :)

This means that you won so Gratis!!!"

Just read this and its the most pointless post in this thread. What are you talking about you babbling fool. Actually its the single most mental post I have seen.

What are you on about? Brother? Who says brother? I think you need to go on a cultural differences course maybe you'd understand the country you're living in and the foix pas you keep doing. Language courses don't quite cut it in that sense.

BTW expecting a response to cultural differences. Yes I think most people understand that Muslims have their own culture and yes we think its derogatory, decietful, filled with lies, mutilate children, and has been used for some of the most evil things done in recent years which generally means we think its archaic nonsense and that is not compatible with modern society.

IE Honour killings, seperate schools, seperate shops, seperate congrigations, sitting in the middle of the street to pray in crouded areas courses a health and safety hazard. I generally think they let Islam get away with far too much. Why come to a country and seperate yourself from everyone, all you do is cause annimosity and friction between cultures following your own rules and ignoring the rules of the country you are in. That is completely ridiculous and is part of the ridiculous stance governments give to Muslims. They don't let any other religion do this so why should Islam get special treatement.

Its ridiculous along with the whole concept of religion. Nonsense pure nonsense.
23:10 March 26, 2010 by saucymugwump
omansour wrote: Aisha was older than him.

Ah, now I understand. You are using a taqiyya, a falsehood told to prevent the denigration of Islam.

M-Larson (probably a forger) wrote: Aisha or Aishah was engaged to another man before Muhammad

Aisha was engaged to Jubayr ibn Mut'im. Yes, I knew that. That means her first engagement was arranged when she was 5-years-old or younger.

The Prophet Muhammad had 11 wives: Khadijah bint Khuwaylid, Sawda bint Zama, Aisha bint Abi Bakr, Hafsa bint Umar, Zaynab bint Khuzayma, Hind bint Abi Umayya, Zaynab bint Jahsh, Juwayriya bint al-Harith, Ramlah bint Abi Sufyan, Rayhana bint Zayd, Safiyya bint Huyayy, Maymuna bint al-Harith, and Maria al-Qibtiyya.

Are those enough facts for you?
23:12 March 26, 2010 by flintis
Here's a cure it all,

NUKE the far & middle east, cover it with tarmac & turn it in to something useful, "a car park"
23:13 March 26, 2010 by Twiceshy
as to if a muslim would fight for sweden if attacked by Soudi's - keep in mind shi and suni's kill each other all the time. these people are all nuts! kill anyone who offends you or draws a bomb in the towlhead of the profit or his mother or a dog and a profit had - brother, sister - you name it. blow them up.

so, let sweden become muslim and see what happens.... booooommmm!
23:14 March 26, 2010 by wxman
Hitler to the people of Poland in 1939: "You are my brothers, I have nothing against you and would never think of invading you."
23:15 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@jaradat_omar #

"I swear that I will try to achieve them both", So you've finally answered and stated clearly and openly that if you are in the swedish army, then, you will kill the radical muslims who attacked sweden (In that virtual scenario).

Can you say the same in front of your dad, your family, your tribe and your original country ?
23:19 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@Venturisection #69

Do you really think that I am happy because they burned the Flag???

I was proving my opinion which is "Everyone can be overwhelmed in such a way" in my religion there is a wise speech says " Do not abuse your father !! and when people asked this wise man "how can we abuse our parents?" he replied : Simply if you abused someone's father so he or she will reply the same back to you"

I hope you imagine what I am trying to say!!

I swear that I was disappointed when I read the news in the first time even I expected this because it is logical to occur.

I will tell you something and away from religions " suppose that someone from X country abused our Swedish symbol I mean the three crowns which represents our lands even he or she doesn't know what does this symbol represent and he pretexted with a freedom" what would you do then??

Don't you agree that somebody from Sweden will reply ?? and may a conflict begin ??
23:20 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson
@saucymugwump #73

You are the best plagiarizer I've ever seen!

I didn't ask you to copy and paste for me. I wanted to reeducate you about other people culture and some manners, but it turns out that you're a hopeless!
23:24 March 26, 2010 by mehrdad1111
its a little bit ironic.

you swedish people show antisemitism, drive the few jews out of malmö and are the most anti-israeli country in europe (together with norway) but it will not bring you anything positive.

muslims will destroy your country in the next 20-30 years even if you do them a favour by beeing a antisemitic country.
23:25 March 26, 2010 by flintis

Who in heaven cleans up after the white horses? the virgins??

The arabs fight between themselves irrespective of religion, so what difference is there between Monty Pythons caricature of Jesus & Vilks of Mohammed. None.
23:29 March 26, 2010 by Venturisection
Burning a flag is symbolic, but asking that the cartoonist is dealt with and issuing threats by burning a flag is different completely different.


"A Swedish flag was set alight outside the country's embassy in Malaysia on Friday as protesters gathered to demand action be taken against cartoonist Lars Vilks and newspapers that published his caricatures of the Muslim prophet Muhammad."

Its ridiculous and we have a hate mongering Imam on the way yay.

Can you see what I mean?

Islam is doing whatever the feck it likes spreading lies and hate and intimidating people into doing what the extremist want and it'll just get worse.

And no i don't agree. If you go to war for burning a flag your a fecking idiot and should've been drowned at birth. I expect 1 idiot to possibly do that but a whole load of people. No that would be ridiculous. We're more civilised, flag burning is for morons reacting to such childish tactics would be just as moronic.

However saying that the country should deal with one person by initially burning a flag is ridiculous. Remember what happened to Denmark? Arla was completely boycotted by morons because of that, they didn't even have anything to do with it. OMG its only a picture for crying out loud.

MY POINT IS INTIMIDATION! NOT FLAG BURNING!!! and yes it will escalate as the mob mentallity comes into play and they just carry on getting lower and lower in IQ and bully everyone into submission.

If anything happens to Lars Vilks, I hope they kick every piece of trash out the country that has contact with anyone that tries something.
23:31 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@Nordic Prince

Am I the confused here? hehehehehe

You can't imagine my compassion toward you!!


What do you think to come with me to my original country and show you how can I say this??

Man you are really uncivilized and look spiteful? hey feel free to tell me why I can solve it for you !!! hehehehehe
23:37 March 26, 2010 by GLO
See, you cant mix people with completly opposing backgrounds and expect anything less... Sweden should close the BRIDGE commerce excepted, stop fast food outlets, cease letting your future enemys come to dinner for free!!!

Do not loose your Language, Money, History or your children wont even know who they are.... I have visited my homeland these last 5 years and now see a level of change that is stunning.... Just READ TODAYS NEWS !!!!!
23:37 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar

You are trying to challenge yourself and who does so can pee on him self!!
23:47 March 26, 2010 by M-Larson

I have a job for you! A jester for a circus

They offer: free food + health insurance
23:47 March 26, 2010 by Venturisection

Sorry I don't think I understood what you wrote. That just seems to be a pathetic attempt at an insult because you can't comprehend what I have written who you have comprehended it and you have no other option other than to resort to intimidation and abusive language in order to make your rather meager point.

When you resort to slurs or name calling you know you've lost the debate and everyone who's being reading any of the stuff on this board will see how ridiculous you are and how childish your reaction to things are. Do yourself a favour and read some Dawkins or Hitchens books you might finally have an apithany and learn something and come to a realisation or you might as I suspect just draw all over it with crayon and write this person has small pee pee or poo all over every pages because of your very articulate use of the english language.

Well done for making no point whatsoever and resulting to gutter talk. I hope you realise how ridiculous you are. Congratulations.
23:48 March 26, 2010 by jaradat_omar
What makes me not cool that you know nothing about religions and I discovered that I replying to people just want to talk without sense of logic and if you notice my comments you will discover that I didn't abuse any of you and respected and still respect your religions if any !!!

Iciness, I will not allow uneducated people like you to make me slip and I will keep respecting your religions not you!!

And I will do with the speech says let the creatures to their creator!!

Got nätt,

Hej då !!!
00:05 March 27, 2010 by Venturisection
Let me respond to that....


I am not religious I think all religions are ridiculous. Two religion in particular multilate children. Another is spreading the lines of creationism, and you have made no attempt to address any points that have come to you.

And if you had explained your rather lofty view that no one here knows about religions or different cultures maybe we could have had a conversation but instead you resorted to nonsense. Either that or your command of the English language is a lot lower than you think and your point isn't being put across properly but from everyone reading your rather antiquated nonsense I would suspect that they have drawn the conclusion that you are absolutely ridiculous.

Slip? Uneducated? You're making rather slanderous acqusations there, I could interpret that as you calling me thick when you don't seem to have read the story and keep going on about people reacting to the flag burning, but you seem to have left out the most important part time and time again.

The cartoon of Mohammed had no threatening message driving it nor did it seek to prosecute someone for just expressing themselves. Whereas the douchebags who burned the flag are demanding action against the cartoonist so they can be appeased.

No that is ridiculous and you are just as ridiculous because you did not address this very important point of intimidation by lesser developed cultures such as Islam I put forward to you that any progress the less indoctrinated members of this religion are are being reversed at an exponential rate thanks to idiocy and lunacy like this.

Also this shows that your analytical skills are rather under developed and that you are poorly educated from a 3rd world 5th rate university that handed you a mickey mouse degree in Engineering. It will be a lot better when they start charging everyone who is not from EU then we won't get so many morons from countries that are not developing with the rest of the world.

And if you start getting abuse its mostly because of you inane comments.
00:09 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Really grievous!!!

You don't know what to say, as what I told you!!!

You just want to see your comment and show your friends that you commented on someone!!! really childish and disgraceful mentalities!!!

Go have some rest.
00:12 March 27, 2010 by Rahelli
Many muslim are living in sweden with a good life.Sweden people are very good people and i love swedeish from the base of my heart in sweden is a free countery so long live sweden and long live sweden flug.but many cherstian people are suffering in muslim coutery
00:14 March 27, 2010 by M-Larson

Is all that because we tried to educate you and tell you that you can't use word 'brother' with anyone in any context ?
00:27 March 27, 2010 by Venturisection
"Many muslim are living in sweden with a good life.Sweden people are very good people and i love swedeish from the base of my heart in sweden is a free countery so long live sweden and long live sweden flug.but many cherstian people are suffering in muslim coutery"

good I applaude them if they are enjoying the swedish way of life and are mixing in.

However if Honour killings, Indoctrination, or denial of other religions and unacceptance of conversion of faith occurs, you have to ask yourself are they really enjoying the life here or are they just moving to another part of the world and just doing what they always have done and resenting everything. I like the stories of immigrants who move to a country and make a sucess and integrate themselves in the country rather than those who seek to destroy or hide themselves.

Case in point the rather incredible story of the Belgium woman who became the first female suicide bomber in Iraq. It is quite an upsetting story to be honest and whilst I was living in Belgian I became more aware that people are reacting to this kind of thing in a very large way as I found a "Keep Muslims out of our Cities" movements in which they wanted to expell every single muslim around and it seemed to have some momentum due to the aforementioned story and the rather expensive quality to their panthlets. Though I found it to be quite disturbing but understandable almost.
00:56 March 27, 2010 by babashki
@ jaradat_omar you are not a swede, you might of migrated here when you were a child, or your father might of migrated here, you might serve the swedish army, but you are not a swede.

you are a swedish citizen, but from your name, you are arab. arab descent.

the way i see it is, the name and religon of islam.. ( im not stating in this phrase that it is bad ) is like the term '' nigger'' for people who are black.

white people ''can not '' say it, its a hate crime, but black people can say whatever they usually say.

i cant find a better way to explain this, i hope you guys understand what im trying to say.

its like a ''taboo'' subject.

but you see, we arnt making false accusations about the 'faith'..

honor killings, forceful marriage, no democracy, laws backing amputations ( Nigeria ), no laws for women. bombings...

i mean.. that says it all for itself.
00:58 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@Venturisection @M-Larson

I stopped commenting because it's disgusting to talk to people has no principles and in addition we will never reach to any shared point because simply you are atheist and this is up to you but I can't deal with your brain because you think that you have something and always remember "You think" and it is hard to convince you that you make nothing except trying to parade your oblique notions which can not fit for anyone's innate mind and you have special way to think of what you believe.

But let me tell you something my first and last indication of you was illustrated as a black sheep of the family, surely, I mean with the family who are balanced and have no inbred believes like you so you can conclude who is the black sheep now!!

3rd world or even 700th world does necessarily contains people as you imagine and the university which I studied in can be located in western Sweden so I didn't came my education from the outer space as you think!! I advise you to open the bible or and holy book and reconsider your situation because otherwise you will keep suffering and if you needed any help you can find me around.

You said that you didn't understand my last comment to you so how could you reply an inimical comment back is this wise in your point of view?

Let me tell you something you must be affected more more with Swedish society you claimed that you love in order to discover the real meaning of "Respect" because if you don't know there are many religious people here and tell your heart basis not to try to make partitions between people in Sweden regardless of their believes because this could breach of Sweden's peace by spreading your toxic poison and deviated believes.

There are many peaceful Muslims in Sweden and you can't deny this truth and you can't insulate them because you don't like them, if they try to bomb you go the authorities and tell them and don't forget to keep you mouth shut meanwhile!!

Do you think your small brain has better rules than the Swedish government ?

I thought we can reach for an acceptable point but you who choose to pee again and ended this conversations.

Unfortunately, many people were trying to offense me and I can't reply you all equally.


"Only can judge me"


Note: I couldn't quoted from holy book because you are atheist!!!
02:08 March 27, 2010 by saucymugwump
Women in Yemen rally in support of a child bride law


"The government proposed the law after the marriage of an eight-year-old girl to a 30-year-old man was annulled."

"Yemen is the poorest country in the Arab world. More than a quarter of women there are married before the age of 15."
02:40 March 27, 2010 by Twiceshy
@ saucymugwump

Don't say facts like that. We who love the profit are insulted. You have now insulted 1.5 billion towelheads. Show respect and do not use words that are facts.

or else we go yayayyayayayayy ... boooom!
03:32 March 27, 2010 by Davey-jo
I take it Malaysian ambassador to Sweden has been ass hauled and castigated or whatever the diplomatic term is!
03:33 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar

You are hiding behind exception could happen in every place and want to make it as a fact what do you know about Yemen ??

Can consider the info in the following link as a fact in Sweden society ??


Sure I can't and I can't start lying by giving statistics like yours!!
10:22 March 27, 2010 by Mike #1986
wow how much time went into this forum..

but i like to make it short and blunt more fun..

you can not come to agreement with jaradat_omar or any of his brothers because his a Muslim and they believe only in fiction and fantasy..these people race religion are a threat to our democracy and should never be trusted my solution ignore and deport.
10:50 March 27, 2010 by Venturisection

so now you call me an inbred or something?

I think you just prove you're a moron over and over again.

Why would I want to read a holy book? I had a religious upbringing when I was young and I never thought any of those stories where true in the bible.

If you need a bible or a holy book to live your life you're a bit pathetic.

"I advise you to open the bible or and holy book and reconsider your situation because otherwise you will keep suffering and if you needed any help you can find me around."

Suffering from what? All the hatred, lies and oppressive behaviour of Islam?

The ridiculous notion that there is a man up there and that praying to him makes a difference?

No sir you are the one that is suffering. Suffering from mass hysteria and delusions that is called Religion. I have met many a religious lunatic and they are almost on par with Drug Addicts in their ability to communicate with people. Some of the more extreme ones get such a lofty sense of purpose that they treat everyone else like morons. I've had enough with people like you you're pathetic spreading your relgiious "ideals" forcing it down everyones throats.

Didn't understand your last comment because it was retarded and still you just neglect to address points and just talk generally which is the sign of a delusional mind.

Serious go away you're ridiculous.
11:34 March 27, 2010 by M-Larson
@jaradat_omar #95

You said a lot about me.... atheist ....

You are a phenomenal :)
11:40 March 27, 2010 by sherkovic
#103. LOL!! what a waste of life!! Losers!!
13:00 March 27, 2010 by Globalnomad
Sweden can dish it out but they can't take it. I recall seeing an American flag burning by a mob of young Swedish youth ( wearing Converse tennis shoes, Levis jeans and Van's tee shirts with Big Mac stuffed in their hypocritical mouths ) in Göteborg during the buildup to the invasion of Iraq. Flag burning is going to be Sweden's least problem by publishing these cartoons.
14:46 March 27, 2010 by Kaethar
@Globalnomad: Is that a threat? Watch it or I'll be forced to report you to the authorities.
15:01 March 27, 2010 by Dazzler
LOL ... oh no, not the authorities!!

Look out, its Cartman!
15:06 March 27, 2010 by Iraniboy
Again another platform for some posters to express their unconditional facist and sometime racist viewpoints.

When you accuse, insult and judge 1'000'000 people based on what 5 of them have done, then you're either seriously naiv and mentally incapable or you inherently hate those 1 billion people due to what they really have in common! They think, behave,...very differently but they are all dark! ;)

That goes the same for those who burned this flag! Only because one or two Swedes insulted Muslims for their publicity and fame, it doesn't mean all Swedes agree with that so why burning the whole flag? Again, they are either too naiv to understand this or they know this and they just hate people unconditional.
15:29 March 27, 2010 by Venturisection

you're pretty naive yourself for thinking thats all there is to it.

If various Islamic nations protest against it and if Al Qaeda issue a $100000 reward for the death of the cartoonist its more than 5 people isn't it.

I don't believe in Fascism, everyone is different, understanding that point and dealing with things in that way is what people in Islamic nations lack they're quite obviously more Fascist than anyone in that they want to protect their culture and ways of thinking with extreme violence and prejudice.
15:45 March 27, 2010 by Xcellent
I would like to see the reaction of the World when lars viks makes a cartoon of Adolf Hitler ill treating jews in a funny manner. i can bet a million Kr. you wont see many smiles and this whole "freedom of speech crap !
15:54 March 27, 2010 by John D.
I think Muslims should apologize to Lars. They would get a lot more respect if they did.

We see many cartoons of Political figures and such and you don't see such a protest.

Why are Muslims so sensitive? Just because they are brainwashed into their ridiculous religon. What Religon condons violence and flag burning anyway?

All Religon is, is a man made concept for man to control man.

Believe what you want but when you act like a dog you should be treated like a dog.
15:55 March 27, 2010 by Xcellent
Laughs @john D*ck !
16:12 March 27, 2010 by Liquidmonkey
this is really going too far.

1) sweden is not malaysia so mind your own business

2) burning a flag is MUCH more hateful than simply showing a picture

3) sweden embarces freedom of speech so chillax

4) treat your woman better FIRST, then maybe we can talk about pictures of fake people

seriously muslims, after behaviour like this in malaysia...

1) its no wonder you get singled out at airports

2) its now wonder people call you terrorists

sure, this is a small group of idiots but yet your government is allowing this to happen, if not encouraging this type of behaviour while DEMANDING that another country do something....or else!

you really have yourselves to blame but it would be great if the 'good' muslims would talk to the extremists and get them to relax and not be so violent.

but really, burning a flag cause ANOTHER COUNTRY showed a picture of a person WHO DOESN'T EVEN EXIST is going way beyond sticking up for your religion which by the way IS BASED ON STORIES AND NOT ACTUAL FACT AT ALL.

and i just don't mean muslims, i mean that to ALL RELIGIONS of the world cause GOD, is just man kinds made up figure to explain what we don't understand yet.
16:23 March 27, 2010 by Xcellent
Laughs@ the Monkey ! in liquid form ! ROFL !
16:48 March 27, 2010 by Venturisection
15:45 March 27, 2010 by Xcellent

I would like to see the reaction of the World when lars viks makes a cartoon of Adolf Hitler ill treating jews in a funny manner. i can bet a million Kr. you wont see many smiles and this whole "freedom of speech crap !

I'm sorry but its well know in western media that Islamic press does characatures of all the other religious leaders and figures in the world. Its called hypocritical bullshit. They intimidate everyone and expect nothing coming back at them.

and u just compared Adolf Hitler to the Prophet Mohammed.
16:49 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@ saucymugwump

Why did you delete "campaigners say"??


(honor killings, forceful marriage, no democracy, laws backing amputations ( Nigeria ), no laws for women. bombings...

i mean.. that says it all for itself)

First of all I can't imagine how much you are clever man !!!

How could you know that I am not using a faked name!!!

Listen, when the west occupied my country they put an agent for them to control the people there!!

Do you know what is the main mission for these loyal leaders?

I will tell you the main missions were :

- Stealing the oil and give it to west countries for free.

- Stealing the Gas and grant it to Israel for free too.

- Honor killings,

- Forceful marriage,

- No democracy,

- Laws backing amputations ( Nigeria ),

- No laws for women.

And every time people try to revolt their faithless leaders kill them in a cold blood and not only their government stops them but all the world do so to protect their benefits and do you know what the results can be, yes, exactly as you said


But not all your fingers are similar, No ?

The Good person is a good person so get out from the faked media which you are looking at and free your minds judge each case as an independent case.

I can't consider all US for example are bad because their soldiers killing Iraqi people and I can't consider all Jews bad because they occupying Palestine.

Always think that there are many dark hearts such as:

- Nazis

- Zionists

- Masonic

And they control the media and let people follow their ideas except the smart.

So be Smart!!
17:11 March 27, 2010 by quantumbit
Ok. As a person who grew up in that unfortunate country Malaysia, I feel I can offer at least a little informed opinion. As is true everywhere, but even more so there, everyone can't be tarred with the same brush. Malaysia is one hell of a fractious country with different ethnic groups living in their own bubbles and seldom interacting.

Malays who by default are Muslims, make up a bare majority of the population, but they control government, the security apparatus and civil bureaucracy. The constitution gurantees them special status and they're given preferential treatment from banks and universities. This policy is somewhat affirmative action because economically they're worse off from the rest of the population who are not Muslims and are mostly descendents of Chinese, Indians and Europeans. These others together with the indigenous peoples seethe beneath the surface and most would be offended if you called them 'Malay'.

The non-malays are not a small minority, they make up over 40% of the population, and this probably fuels the insecurities of the Malays. Patriotism and nationalism are almost non existent among non Malays and they would be the first to slam acts such as this flag burning thing. One can google Malaysian blogs and see the anger and disillusionment against the country and government. But this particular incident is so stupid and ridiculous (demanding another country to take action against their newspapers, wth??) that the local papers haven't even bothered to report it.

Besides, the morons in the picture are even more unsophisticated than the American teabaggers. I'll bet my left arm they were promised lunch and some pocket money to show up by one of the racist/confused Islamist organisations who want some newspaper time to curry favour with the racist/confused Islamist government.
17:30 March 27, 2010 by Rahelli
I am not a muslim i dont want too but again i want to say for muslim world just live alone sweden.Sweden is a free countery and swedish peolpe are very good and smart people,Long live Sweden
18:58 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Who begs you to be so?!!!

Everyone is free to be whatever he wants!!

Second of all, you said "i want to say for muslim world just live alone sweden"

Did you mean leave Sweden alone ???

Ok do you want to resist your government rules ?? Swedish government is a free and made the laws to accept all religions so do you want to make another personal laws???

And do not be idiot!! who claimed that Swedes are not smart ??

BTW, Don't you have auto spell corrector as a plugin in your web browser ??

Go get some English classes before commenting!!

Sweden is for all Swedes not for your father

May God bless Sweden.
19:08 March 27, 2010 by Venturisection
seriously jaradat_omar get some english classes yourself your english is atroscious.

and lol at the whole statement its ridiculous you sound like a five year old.

Also if you're free to practise any religion it doesn't mean you're free to force it down everyone else's throat and force the opinion of an entire country so you can do whatever the hell your want.

We all know most Islamic fundamentalist want to follow their own laws rather than that of the country they are in.

"Sweden is for all Swedes not for your father" What the hell do you mean by that? That sounds retarded

"May God bless Sweden." There is no God, if there is one he is the most evil being in existance.
19:42 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar

Who caught your tail hahahaha...

If you don't believe in God so I will deny you and will not answer someone like you leave the Islam alone because your problem not with Islam it's with God so wait until we die and we together will discover if there is a lord or not!!

But suppose that you discovered him hahahhaha

I will wait to see what are you going to do !

BTW, what the hell you want from my language as long as you understand me so keep your mouth shut !!!
20:43 March 27, 2010 by Iraniboy

Like it or not, I expressed a fact!

It is fact that there are 0.001% of Muslims who are involved in killing of innocent people and it is fact that 0.001% non-Muslims are involved in killing innocent people somewhere else.

Hypocrisy is when were condemn one and forget the other! And naivety is when we think 0.001% of Muslims or non-Muslims represent the rest of them!!

Racism,fascism or xenophobia is when we deliberately make the other 99.99% of Muslims/non-Muslims responsible for the faults committed of the 0.001% of them.
20:51 March 27, 2010 by izbz

Not every one see things your point of veiw. I am really not siding anyone but can't really blame them also. With all the bombing and terrorizing, alot of people do get a bad impression of Islam. So blame who? blame those small percentage of fanatic muslim. Islam like all religion teaches good things but a few distorted the whole priciple of the teaching and took the word 'jihad' for granted. For a lot of muslim it might be JIHAD but killing a lot of innocent , did God really want that to happen? I am a Swede but I come from a multi culture and a multi religion country. I am taught not to offend others and get into aguements about religion.

@ John D

I really think you got it all wrong..... Lars should be the one to apologise to the muslim, he was the one who started all the trouble. And the Malaysian government should apologis to Swedan. Some years ago some artist painted a picture of Christ Naked with his private part hanging out. There was a big hoo ha from the Christian and the churches.
22:06 March 27, 2010 by DeadPrez
The westerner`s perception of the issue is based on that the fact that because they wouldnt be upset if it was Jesus portrait then muslims have no right to get upset. they believe as the british once did that the ways of the queen are the ways of the world. this arrogance is directly responsible for a couple of culture clashes

Isnt the fact that it is only occurring in the west , most notably scandinavia peculiar?

most post keep talking about the Muslims reaction to the art. Lets get things straight, how some of the muslims reacted wasnt right but how does that justify the art? It does not, How they reacted does not change the art or why Vilks made it so stop using their reaction to justify the art. Discuss the art whether it was right or wrong without talking about Islam or Islamic practices coz frankly it does change the piece of art in question

@ saucymugwump _ this just for u, if i offend anybody else my sincere apologies

Did u know that den heliga Birgitta(saint of sweden) was married at age 13, i wonder what that says about ....
22:25 March 27, 2010 by Rahelli
dont worry about my english.My message was for muslim world just live sweden alone because most of muslim world for small thing wants problem every where just be smart ok for your information i love swedeish language svenska than english where ever you said i love sweden because i want too
23:03 March 27, 2010 by jazzIIIlove

"Racism,fascism or xenophobia is when we deliberately make the other 99.99% of Muslims/non-Muslims responsible for the faults committed of the 0.001% of them."

Let me generalize more, today I don't see any comprehension by Arab league towards the freedom of speech. The problem is obviously disrespecting due to the religion and since as atheist, I am right now living in a country known as 99% muslim, I can say, muslim ones are always cursing the others since "others" are not sharing the same religious. The ones having muslim belief must understand everything can be criticised. Even the christianity is criticised by most groups but they aren't having a threat for homocide or jihad. So, it's pretty obvious that most muslims have tendency to create violence in the name of god which is I find it quite ridiculuos. So, the muslims in the world and in Europe must understand the fact; if they want to be treated as fair as others, then they must have an understanding towards "every" opinion, otherwise, the muslim ones always be a referance as the ones in mordor in Tokien's LOTR.
23:20 March 27, 2010 by jaradat_omar
@ Rahelli

Man I am not attacking you I am a member of the Swedish society and I love Svenska just like you ...

But I can't come and simply say facts.

I want you to clarify your words "because most of muslim world for small thing wants problem every where* how could you say these words? what do you know about Muslims and Islams, again I don't defend ridiculous people and I will never do, I said before good person is a good person regardless of the language, culture, religions or colors.

But I want to ask you to go and check about the people that you have just attacked them by your words, you must understand the rules of the game!!

Hey people...

Do you really think that Muslims are represented as supposed ??

Do you really think Osama bin Ladin represents the Islam ??

Do you really believe that Muslims in the past and now marry childish girls ?

Do you really think that Muslims are ridiculous and like to make problems ?

Be honest with yourselves and SMART in real and try to check the answers!!

I don't have to be Christian to love Christians but sure I have to respect them and respect any one who worths it and this is the real Freedom and the holy book of the real Muslims says that too...

If I were you I would not hate people and say abusive words against them just because this is the default case!!!
00:03 March 28, 2010 by scrawler
Ha..! the truth and unavoidable fact is most of the peoples in this world. We follow things which was followed by our ancestors due to the infinitesimal love and bound on them.!! We follow their religion..! first read and find the answer in u.. ! where am i? and the purpose of existence in the world

Due to those negative aspect, which embedded in brain leads to made us to comment like this notoriously.! First respect each other my dear friends, we will born once in this earth not again. Life is short. Plz share love and die rather making such ruthless work.

due to this reason only right from the birth few always think negative about islam..!! because the people around us makes comment like that.! and most important thing is without knowing fully and entirely about other religion don't comment on Islam...!!

We have such a gifted treasure in us is "brain" that we can think and sense that can not be done by animals. None in this world made this kind of insane things and they called as freedom of speech.!! apart from denmark..!

Ha,! this guy never painted anything in his life i guess due to getting more influential and hype in media he has done ..!

I believe my words stroke the minds of reader..! just a common example ..!

If someone stated ur mom art as whore in newspaper " U WILL SAY THIS AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH " bullshit..!!

One good swedish saying " love it or leave it " ..!!

In future i, believe Sverige take strict actions against such kind of unethical fanatic behaviour..!

Many people still so desperate to comment so bad abt islam. ! n other religion first ..! We shud prepare ourself to face global warming and other economic crisis stuff rather than publishing such kind of illegitimate act..!

finally , i want to auxiliary few words to this article..! Due to insane work of one guy..!! burning the country flag is madness...!!
00:30 March 28, 2010 by jaradat_omar
To whom it may concern

Please try to read some from this link.


Note: try to browse it using IE and check the links inside it too
12:26 March 28, 2010 by Thepartygirl

That was a really good summary. I tried to put some of it across before but I doubt the folks here are actually interested in the facts.

And you are right, the mongrels in the picture were probably promised tea and roti in exchange for protesting against something they probably didn't fully understand or care about.

I did catch a video of the whole thing and to be fair, it was a peaceful march to the Swedish embassy and then a handful idiots burnt the flag.

What the failed to understand was that it was the cartoonist and the newspaper that published it at fault, not Sweden or the Swedish people. Most Malaysians are intelligent enough to understand the difference but if you were jobless, plucked out of a village and promised food and money, you'd just do as you are told or feel.

I'm a non practising Roman Catholic Malaysian (too lazy to go to church!) and because I grew up in a mult cultural, multi religious community and family, I have great respect for other people's religion and culture, just like most of my Malaysian friends both abroad and at home.

I don't think that anyone should really make fun of another person's religion or culture because for some people, its the foundation of their lives and in some cultures, religion shapes who you are as a person even. I appreciate some parts of Hinduism but have a bone to pick about the caste system which has penetrated the religion but in bringing it up, I'd be offending some of my friends and at the end of the day, I value my friendships more then having the last word.

The cartoon was unnecessary and perhaps a case of taking freedom of speech too far. The cartoonist and the newspaper knew fully well how explosive this issue was and should take responsibility for their actions.

The protesters didn't need to burn the flag, that was highly unnecessary but they had the right to protest against the nature of the cartoon and ask for some form of apology from the newspaper. But whether or not it was right or wrong, it remains debatable.

But don't paint all Malaysians with the same brush just because of a small minority.
12:51 March 28, 2010 by M-Larson

Could you clarify something !

In #126 you've stated "Do you really believe that Muslims in the past and now marry childish girls ?"

What do you mean ??? Explain it ???

After that, compare your statement above with the fact that "Muhammad married Aisha and she was 9 years old" ?

Be clear, honest and direct. DO NOT GO around things and talk about unnecessary stuff !
13:09 March 28, 2010 by americanska
a lot of hate in this wall.

burning the flag over a cartoon - ok that is dumb.

but i'm more worried about the muslims killing people over a CARTOON!
13:54 March 28, 2010 by Sjayna
Thepartygirl, I can guarantee you that most of the swedish people don't care or they think its ok to publish that kind of things.As an creating artist you don't have any political or moral responsibilities, thats the privilegie of being an artist. Any kind of barriers in form of some kind of stupid rules would directly affect your creation process. As a receiver you have always the possiblity to not get too much provocated...There is no unnecessary or necessary art, there are no right or wrong art! And guess what, you can still as an 'provocating' artist have respect for other people's religion and culture, so long they don't FORCE these on people (including swedish culture/traditions)...
16:07 March 28, 2010 by Venturisection
@ Iraniboy


Its more than 0.001% the idea it isn't is nonsense.

If you factor in Honour Killing, lack of integration in societies, following own rules instead of rules of the country these people practise Islam in, Indoctrination and brainwashing you'll find that your statistics which are made up are nonsense.

The fact that your majority stands idly by whilst these idiots do things is ridiculous.

The idea that whole countries are on the side of the muppets who burned the flag isn't seeing as whole countries have denouced the cartoons and demanding action instead of condemming the act of the flag burning and demanding that the cartoonist is dealt with.

You're living in a fantasy world made up of bullshit statistics.

And it is your naivity that is blinding you from the fact that this is no small event.

It is Fascism that makes Islam what it is with it protective culture, fundamentalist beliefs of being the one true religion and the following of the acts of violence against all other. Fascism has nothing to do with this Racism has nothing to do with this and Xenophobia has nothing to do with this. If you think it does that means you're more racist than anyone else here as you think Islam is restricted to one nationality or ethnic group and that is naivity.
18:29 March 28, 2010 by dsc
Atheism/Agnosticism meets a more challenging religion. Christianity with its message of peace is easy to insult and make fun of. But Islam won't have it. I'm watching - with popcorns - what will happen with this ultimate crush of cultures. . .
19:31 March 28, 2010 by wenddiver
I would have to disagree with the Ambassador; any country unable to enforce the law in reguards to protection of Diplomatic embassies is not safe for visitors. It may not even be civilized. Your money and investment would be better spent elsewhere.

Instead of selling those SAAB jet fighters you might want to use them to blast the Muslim Fuzzy-Wuzzys of Malaysia, until they learn a little respect for the Swedish flag. Surely, a few swedish gunboats shelling a Malasyian city, would bring the carpet flyers to their sences?? Maybe back it up with a nice note from the King offering to land troops and restore order with the possibility of making Malaysia a Swedish protectorate if the local's can't maintain civilization. Offer to arm the non-muslim majority as a constabulary force. Ask for a $100 milion dollar payment for the flag. ; )
22:39 March 28, 2010 by Tommysixtoes

- you are an idiot. Sorry to single you out as you are not alone but you were the last post as I type this. I won't be reading this any further, so no need to reply to me, unless you want to vent to other readers. Be my guest.

All of the people posting on this thread

- need some lessons in english if they want to be understood in english. No exceptions.

Each and every moment of our lives we are making choices.

If you want to get respect, you need to show respect.

Start with yourself if you want to see some changes.

I sound like a friggin hippie!

Look what you've all made me into!

Instead of blaming other people for what you see as problems, try and understand where they are coming from before you jump to conclusions.

I know my english is bad sometimes too! But I'm trying to learn swedish, like all of you should be doing, instead of posting bullshit on here.

Thanks, peace and love.

tom the hippie
01:11 March 29, 2010 by jaradat_omar

I can't explain anything to someone like you boy because your brain is smaller than I expected so go and see someone else to fight or play with because it's hard to understand me.

Jesus gave lives to the dead people and cure their blindness but could Christians do it in the past or even can they do it now ?!!

If you are clever you can conclude what I mean !!

By the way this is your last chance and if you made bad conclusion I will not reply you.
07:14 March 29, 2010 by wenddiver
Tell them to leave your Embassy property or you'll go all US on them and crater their favorite runway and shell their oil refineries. Set the oil tanks off with a burning Swedish Flag to let them know you don't care and are not the people to mess with. Maybe do a Viking raid from a sub and haul off their virgins after looting their religous buildings.

Make it where when anybody says the word Maylasia, people go "Those Swedes really did a number on you guys".
13:36 March 29, 2010 by Britswedeguy
If Muslims are burning your flag then you must be doing something right!
14:23 March 29, 2010 by HaveStories
why the flag? find Vilks and furn him, prick!
Today's headlines
Injured Swedish photographer protected by 'guardian angel'
Swedish photographer Paul Hansen on another occasion. Photo: Fredrik Sandberg/TT

Photographer Paul Hansen thanked his lucky stars for surviving sniper fire while covering the battle for the Isis-held city of Mosul in Iraq.

How Sweden is trying to smooth relations with Saudis
Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven meeting Saudi Arabia's Trade Minister Majid bin Abdullah Al Qasabi. Photo: Henrik Montgomery/TT

Sweden's Prime Minister Stefan Löfven has visited Saudi Arabia a year and a half after relations turned frosty in a major diplomatic row.

My Swedish Career
'Swedish people love it, but they find it quite odd'
Scottish entrepreneur William Macdonald. Photo: Michael Campanella

Meet the web developer and entrepreneur using traditional Scottish ceilidh dancing to break the ice with Swedes.

Swedish photographer shot near Mosul
Hansen was being operated on in the Iraqi city of Erbil on Sunday. Photo: Nora Lorek/ TT

Paul Hansen, a photographer working for Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter, has sustained light injuries after being hit by what appears to be a sniper while covering the battle for the Isis-held city of Mosul in Iraq.

Trollhättan remembers school attack victims
'It was an attack on all of Sweden,' Education Minister Gustav Fridolin said. Photo: Thomas Johansson/ TT

Hundreds of people on Saturday turned out for a torchlight procession in the small town of Trollhättan in southwestern Sweden to honour the victims of last year’s deadly school attack there.

Sweden wants emission- free cars in EU by 2030
Photo: Jessica Gow/ TT

Sweden's environment minister on Saturday urged the European Union to ban petrol and diesel-powered vehicles from 2030.

Hundreds protest Swedish asylum laws
Around 1,000 people protested in Stockholm. Photo: Fredrik Persson/ TT

Hundreds of people on Saturday demonstrated in Stockholm and in many other parts of the country to protest Sweden’s tough new laws on asylum-seekers.

Swedish terror suspect ‘planned airport attack’
Swedish terror suspect Osama Krayem. Photo: Facebook

Swedish national Osama Krayem, linked to the deadly attacks in Paris on November 13 and in Brussels on March 22, is now suspected of having plotted to attack also the Schiphol airport in the Netherlands.

Dylan removes Nobel-mention from website
The American musician has more or less responded to the news with silence. Photo: Per Wahlberg

American singer-song writer Bob Dylan has removed any mention of him being named one of this year’s Nobel Prize laureates on his official website.

Refugee crisis
Asylum requests in Sweden down by 70 percent
Sweden's migration minister Morgan Johansson. Photo: Christine Olsson/TT

Sweden received 70 percent fewer requests for asylum in the period between January and September 2016 than it did during the same time last year, the country’s justice and migration minister Morgan Johansson has revealed.

Sponsored Article
This is Malmö: Football capital of Sweden
People-watching: October 21st-23rd
Sponsored Article
Where is the Swedish music industry heading?
Fury at plans that 'threaten the IB's survival' in Sweden
Here's where it could snow in central Sweden this weekend
Blog updates

6 October

10 useful hjälpverb (The Swedish Teacher) »

"Hej! I think the so-called “hjalpverb” (auxiliary verbs in English) are a good way to get…" READ »


8 July

Editor’s blog, July 8th (The Local Sweden) »

"Hej readers, It has, as always, been a bizarre, serious and hilarious week in Sweden. You…" READ »

Sponsored Article
Why you should 'grab a chair' on Stockholm's tech scene
Analysis & Opinion
Are we just going to let half the country die?
Sponsored Article
Stockholm: creating solutions to global challenges
Angry elk chases Swede up a lamp post
The Local Voices
'Alienation in Sweden feels better: I find myself a stranger among scores of aliens'
People-watching: October 20th
Sponsored Article
Swedish for programmers: 'It changed my life'
The Local Voices
A layover at Qatar airport brought this Swedish-Kenyan couple together - now they're heading for marriage
Sponsored Article
Top 7 tips to help you learn Swedish
Swede punches clown that scared his grandmother
Fans throw flares and enter pitch in Swedish football riot
Sponsored Article
‘Extremism can't be defeated on the battlefield alone’
Could Swedish blood test solve 'Making a Murderer'?
Sponsored Article
Stockholm: creating solutions to global challenges
Property of the week: Linnéstaden, Gothenburg
Swedish school to build gender neutral changing room
Sponsored Article
Why you should 'grab a chair' on Stockholm's tech scene
People-watching: October 14th-16th
Sponsored Article
Where is the Swedish music industry heading?
Man in Sweden assaulted by clowns with broken bottle
Sponsored Article
Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections
Nobel Prize 2016: Literature
Watch the man who discovered Bob Dylan react to his Nobel Prize win
Record numbers emigrating from Sweden
People-watching: October 12th
The Local Voices
'Swedish startups should embrace newcomers' talents - there's nothing to fear'
How far right are the Sweden Democrats?
Property of the week: Triangeln, Malmö
Sweden unveils Europe's first elk hut
People-watching: October 7th-9th
The Local Voices
Syria's White Helmets: The Nobel Peace Prize would have meant a lot, but pulling a child from rubble is the greatest reward
Missing rune stone turns up in Sweden
jobs available