Single Swedes finding love on the internet
TT/Paul O'Mahony · 16 Apr 2010, 15:24
Published: 16 Apr 2010 15:24 GMT+02:00
- Swedish papers say no to 'lesbian love' advert (20 Jan 10)
- Dating site singles out Swedes as world's most beautiful men (12 Nov 09)
- Nearly all young Swedes surf the web daily: study (12 Nov 09)
Participants in the poll were asked just one question: "Where did you meet your partner?"
Websites topped the list of meeting places for those polled in the study carried out by Sifo on behalf of online dating service match.com.
"Sweden has seen a dramatic change over the last ten years. Internet dating has gone from being a marginal phenomenon to one of the most common ways of meeting people in the country," said match.com marketing director Hanna Bergholm in a statement.
"Nordic singles have always been among the most active when it comes to internet dating but this is remarkable and incredibly gratifying."
More traditional forms of courtship still held sway in the poll, however, with a majority of couples hooking up through friends and acquaintances, work, dinner parties and a combination of other offline scenarios.
Sifo spoke to 1,111 men and women in the 25-60 age group who had entered into a relationship over the last four years.
Where did you meet your partner?
- Via an internet dating site, 23%
- Via friends and acquaintances, 21%
- At work, 14%
- At a pub or nightclub, 13%
- At a dinner or party, 8%
- Other, 8%
- At school/university, 4%
- Through a hobby/interest, 4%
- On a trip or holiday, 3%
- In a public place, 2%
- Through a newspaper contact ad, 0%