Tempers flare at hearing over car park killing

A courtroom in Lund played host to chaotic scenes on Tuesday morning as the district court ruled to keep a 23-year-old man in custody in connection with the car park assault that led to the death of a 78-year-old woman.

Emotions ran high prior to the start of the custody hearing with police forced to intervene as several people attempted to prevent photographers from taking pictures inside the packed courtroom.

One of the suspect’s family members screamed “idiot” at the prosecutor and threw a pen at him as the decision was announced.

The 23-year-old was remanded into custody two weeks ago on suspicions of aggravated involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault.

He is suspected of having punched a 78-year-old woman in the face as she intervened on behalf of her 71-year-old husband after a parking dispute outside a Landskrona supermarket.

The woman lost consciousness in the affray and died after undergoing an operation at the Skåne University Hospital in Lund on March 31st while her husband escaped the incident with minor injuries.

The 23-year-old man was arrested on Good Friday. He has admitted to involvement in the incident but claims he never intended to injure or kill the victim. The suspect’s legal counsel Leif Silbersky has said the woman’s death was “purely accidental”.

Silbersky said the court lacked sufficient evidence to warrant holding his client on probable cause, the highest level of suspicion prior to charges being brought. With this in mind, he argued that his client should be released from custody.

He also pleaded for negotiations to be held inside the crowded courtroom, but deputy chief prosecutor Göran Olsson opposed the move since a number of witnesses have yet to be questioned in the ongoing investigation. The court eventually ruled to hold the hearing behind closed doors.


Swedish NBA star won’t play amid assault probe

Swedish-American Jeffery Taylor of the Charlotte Hornets will not be involved in team activities as the basketball association and police probe the domestic assault charge against him.

Swedish NBA star won't play amid assault probe
Jeffery Taylor in action for Sweden against Russia in 2013. AP Photo

The team, in a statement Friday, did not characterize its action as a suspension, and indicated Taylor agreed to the measure.

"As an organization, we understand and appreciate the seriousness of this matter, and will assist the NBA and law enforcement in any way we can until this comes to an acceptable resolution," the Hornets said.

"We have spoken with Jeffery and his representatives and they fully understand our position."

Taylor was arrested and charged on Thursday in East Lansing, Michigan, just the latest unsavory incident to tarnish the reputation of US sports.

The 25-year-old was arraigned and has been formally charged with one count of domestic assault, one count of assault and one count of malicious destruction of property, a police statement said.

Authorities did not outline the circumstances of the case, saying only that police were called after a report of domestic assault at an East Lansing hotel at around 1:00 am on Thursday.

Taylor, a 25-year-old measuring 201 centimetres, was born in Norrköping in eastern Sweden. He is about to enter his third season in the NBA. He holds dual Swedish and American citizenship

He missed most of last season after rupturing his right Achilles tendon in December.

His arrest came just days after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said the league was reviewing its policies on domestic violence in light of the public relations crisis the NFL is facing over its handling of several such cases involving high-profile players.

That included the NFL's clumsy handling of Ravens running back Ray Rice, who knocked his future wife unconscious in a casino elevator in February.