Man unscathed after high-speed Ferrari crash

A man driving a Ferrari on a racetrack at an estimated 250 km/h on Monday has escaped from the car with little assistance after it flipped over about ten times and caught fire.

Man unscathed after high-speed Ferrari crash

The Ferrari 360 Modena driven on the Anderstorp racetrack flipped about a dozen times before it caught fire. The driver escaped virtually unscathed. The driver was taken to hospital as a precaution.

“He’s OK. He had some pain in his back, but nothing important,” Stefan Bernström, event manager at the track, told The Local. “The passenger is all OK. He just stepped out of the car. It was not a standard Ferrari with two seats, but a racecar.”

The incident took place at 2pm on Monday during an event arranged by a Danish company. The buyers of about 20 Ferrari cars had been invited to the event to test the prized vehicles.

“I’m not sure how much the insurance is on these cars, but it’s a fantastic amount, about 2 million kronor ($262,830), really expensive cars,” Bernström told The Local. “For people who can afford it, it’s a very nice car. I was relieved of course to hear he was all right. As long as no one gets hurt, you can always buy a new car.”

The staff and organizers were able to put out the fire themselves.

“The guy driving is a very experienced driver. He’s been doing this for years. Something happened with the car,” Bernström told The Local.

“He had a tyre explosion on a front wheel at the end of the straight,” he said.

Bernström added the staff at the racetrack are trained to handle crashes.

“I didn’t see the crash because my office is on the other end of the racetrack from where the crash happened,” he told The Local. “I was helping putting out the fire. We got a call saying we needed an ambulance and fire extinguishers.”

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze

Emergency services in Stockholm were continuing on Tuesday morning to tackle a fire that started in a bus depot almost 24 hours earlier.

Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze
File photo of a fire engine in Stockholm: Pontus Lundahl / TT

The fire, which began at around 10.30am on Monday, is likely to cause problems with traffic diversions and irregular public transport throughout Tuesday, according to SL, the company which runs the capital city's public transport.

“It's still burning and we don't know yet how long we will need to be there. Probably the whole day,” said Hans Eriksson from the Stockholm fire service. “Now we are concentrating on protecting the other surrounding buildings.”

The fire began in connection with work on the roof of the building, which contains a large bus depot and the connected offices.

Eriksson said: “It's an old building with a roof built in a complicated way and construction work, so we haven't wanted to sent people up to the roof and fight the fire from within. That's another reason it's taken longer.”

No buses are reported damaged as most of the fleet were on Stockholm's roads at the time of the fire.

Police have opened an investigation into carelessness endangering of the public.