Gothenburg's five best bars
The Local · 5 Aug 2010, 17:01
Published: 05 Aug 2010 17:01 GMT+02:00
1. Some say that Nefertiti is Gothenburg’s answer to Stockholm’s Spybar; it is a hot spot for dancing and a guaranteed good time. It features several bars and a large dance floor, plus an outdoor area for mingling in the summer. Nefertiti is best known as a jazz club, but as the night goes on, the music changes into a diverse mix of hip-hop, blues, and electronic. Find it at Hvitfeldtsplatsen 6.
2. Klara is a smaller restaurant and bar that attracts a diverse crowd of students, artists, and creative types. There is an easy atmosphere, very relaxed but nonetheless great people watching. Drinks prices are relatively low, which is also a plus. Located at Viktoriagatan 1.
3. Greta’s is Gothenburg’s biggest gay nightclub. Named after the famous Greta Garbo, this is an excellent spot for late night dancing and drinks. It features two floors, with multiple bars and big dance floors. A fun place for anyone, as long as you are open minded. It is located at Drottninggatan 35.
4. The Rover is a great place to meet a few friends and grab a cold beer. The bar has the feel of a traditional pub, with a dark atmosphere and wood paneling, but sets itself apart from the competition with its focus on beer from Swedish and American microbreweries. A sure bet for a relaxing evening with high quality brews in Gothenburg. Find it at Andra Långgatan 12.
5. Lokal is one of Gothenburg’s trendier bars. Although a small space, it packs in a ton of attitude and comes highly recommended from locals and travelers alike. Simple, industrial décor add to bar’s hip factor. Lokal also features a tasty restaurant with an abundance of vegetarian options from local, organic vendors. It is located on Kyrkogatan 11.
View Gothenburg's best bars in a larger map