Police catch up with 79-year-old sex offender

Sten Erik Eriksson, a 79-year-old sex offender and dangerous convicted paedophile who escaped while on a leave of absence on Tuesday, was detained by police shortly before midnight while on a train to Oslo.

Police catch up with 79-year-old sex offender

The 79-year-old was found on a train from Stockholm to Oslo and was arrested in Charlottenberg, the last stop before the border.

“Several people called, independent of each other, from the train and informed the police that the wanted 79-year-old was on board,” said Morgan Connedal at Värmland police to news agency TT.

Rail operator SJ halted the train between stations so that police units were able to make it to Charlottenberg where the man could be detained.

The arrest was conducted without any drama, according to Connedal.

Police drove Eriksson back to Sankt Göran’s Hospital in Stockholm during the night.

The man has told police that he took a taxi to Strängnäs from Mariefred where he was able to evade his two supervisors during home leave. From Strängnäs he continued his escape by train.

Sten Erik Eriksson has been convicted of a raft of serious sex offences against children and for the murder of a little boy. He has spent a large part of his life in custody and is still regarded as dangerous, especially for small children.

Police sounded a national alarm after the man classified as a dangerous paedophile was able to escape.

According to the Aftonbladet daily, Eriksson was first convicted in the 1940s and was taken into what was then known as a mental institution. He has been convicted for violent offences involving children, and for the rape and murder of a little boy in 1967.

After the murder he was placed in psychiatric care and has since then been interned at Karsudden’s hospital outside of Katrineholm and Sankt Sigfrid’s hospital in Växjö. Over the past six months he has been at Sankt Göran’s hospital in Stockholm.

Eriksson has previously escaped on several occasions. In 1998 he ran from supervisors during a leave of absence from Sankt Sigfrid’s hospital and was arrested several days later in Örnsköldsvik.

It is as yet unclear how the man was able to evade his supervisors in Mariefred.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Bluff bid for Swedish firm sparks market turmoil

An erroneous press release published on Friday indicating that Swedish firm Fingerprint Cards had been acquired by Samsung led to a sharp rise in the firm's stock and a criminal investigation once the mistake had been discovered.

Bluff bid for Swedish firm sparks market turmoil

“An investigation has shown that the company followed its routines and was subjected to a deliberate fraud attempt,” business wire service Cision, the firm responsible for publishing the press release, said in a statement on Friday.

Fingerprint Cards, a Gothenburg-based biometric technology firm, issued a denial on its homepage on Friday that it had been acquired by the Korean electronics giant.

“The news in today’s media that Fingerprint Cards AB has been acquired by Samsung is incorrect… What has happened will be reported to the police and to the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority,” the firm wrote.

The matter is now being handled by the Swedish Economic Crimes Authority (Ekobrottsmyndigheten) which has opened a preliminary investigation into aggravated fraud.

Trading in the company’s stock was halted as soon as the abnormal share fluctuations were detected on Friday morning and all trades completed between 10.17am and 10.34 have been nullified.

Fingerprint Cards’ stock has been one of the Stockholm exchange’s strongest performers since the turn of the year, having climbed over 320 percent since January 1st.

The latest Apple Iphone incorporates the firm’s fingerprint sensor.

All trades from 10.17am have also been nullified in sector colleague Precise Biometrics, which also climbed steeply on Friday.

The Local/pvs

Follow The Local on Twitter