Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Police reported over Gothenburg terror threat

Share this article

Police reported over Gothenburg terror threat
Västra Götaland police's Erik Nord in a 2005 file photo
08:34 CET+01:00
The arrest of four people on suspicion of preparing a terrorist crime has been reported and will be reviewed by a prosecutor, while confusion remains over just how many suspects are involved in the investigation.

Erik Nord at Västra Götaland police confirmed that a 39-year-old father of four arrested on Saturday was never suspected of an offence.

"Some form of mistake occurred," he told the local Göteborgs-Posten daily.

The 39-year-old was arrested in connection with a major police raid early on Saturday. He was forced to sit naked on the floor with his hands over his head with a weapon directed at him, the newspaper reported.

Details of what exactly occurred on Saturday morning are starting to emerge. On Wednesday the Security Service (Säpo) said that there was a fifth person involved in the investigation, which was hitherto unknown.

"Five people were brought in. Three of them were suspected of offences," said Säpo press secretary Patrik Peter to news agency TT.

According to Säpo, arrest warrants were issued for three people on suspicion of preparing a terrorist crime. These people were arrested in connection with the police raids on Saturday morning.

A further two people should have been taken in for interviews - one of them the 39-year-old father of four who claims to have been arrested in a very brutal manner and who was told of the suspicions levelled against him.

"There are three who have been suspected and who remain at the very least, of interest to the investigation," said Peter.

Nord confirmed that the Gothenburg police had been told to raid three addresses on Saturday. At the same time they chanced upon a fourth man who they suspected was one of those subject to an arrest warrant and they thus detained him as well.

Nord however denied knowledge of a fifth person.

Police revealed on Friday that they had been tipped off "by a credible source" that a bomb attack was planned in central Gothenburg.

Later on Saturday, police declared the bomb threat to be over and announced that they had handed over the investigation to Säpo.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement