Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Suspected serial rapist confesses

Share this article

Suspected serial rapist confesses
13:50 CET+01:00
A 23-year-old man in custody for several suspected rapes in Örebro in central Sweden has confessed to all the seven assaults for which he was remanded into custody on Thursday.

The police are investigating a further six to seven cases of assaults on women in Örebro.

"The 23-year-old is also suspected for these attacks. He has not been interviewed over them and has not been formally informed of the suspicions against him," said deputy chief prosecutor Pia Åsberg to the TT news agency.

The man was remanded back into custody on Thursday on probable cause for a series of rapes, including the three new cases - one of aggravated rape, one of attempted rape and one case of assault.

The new cases concern an aggravated rape on Ullavigatan in Örebro on November 1st, 2009, attempted rape on Karlslundsgatan in Örebro on October 10th, as well as a case of assault on Ekersgatan in Örebro on April 9th, 2009.

The 23-year-old admitted one of the new cases as the remand hearings commenced, according to Sveriges Radio Örebro. This concerned the attack on Ullavigatan.

The district court remanded the man into custody for aggravated rape in that case, but he admitted only to rape.

The 23-year-old has previously admitted to assault in connection with the incident on Ekersgatan, but the prosecutor sought his detention on the grounds of rape. The court in this instance followed the defence line and classified the attack as assault.

The man is now in custody for a total of seven offences.

In addition to the three new cases, the man is suspected of an attempted rape in August 2005, the aggravated rape of a woman in her 20s at a Eurostop in March and two attacks in October: the rape of a 64-year-old woman and the assault of a young woman.

Police in Örebro are investigating a series of attacks against women over the past year. More than 500 men have submitted DNA tests in the police's hunt for the rapist.

The 23-year-old was arrested on October 11th.

During the week prior to his arrest, the man was called in to the police to submit a DNA test, but he called and said he couldn't make it.

The man's arrest was not a direct result of the cancellation, according to police.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement