SHARE
COPY LINK

DEMOCRACY

ABB closes Egypt factories over unrest

Swiss Swedish engineering giant ABB said on Tuesday that it had decided to temporarily shut factories in Egypt due to the continued unrest in the country.

ABB closes Egypt factories over unrest

“As a precaution we have closed factories temporarily,” a spokesperson for the

group told the AFP news agency.

ABB employs about 1,600 people in the country, where it has an annual turnover of about $300 million dollars, and builds power generation equipment and industrial robots.

Separately, Swedish telecommunications giant Ericsson declared on Monday that it has no evacuation plans for its employees in Egypt, of whom 85 are non-Egyptians.

“Our main focus is the safety of our employees and to be able to support our clients. We follow the situation hourly and see to it that our employees are kept updated,” said Ericsson’s Fredrik Hallstan.

“Our employees can work from home if they so wish. And if they stay at home they are kept regularly informed over the precautions and recommendations that they should follow,” he added.

Hundreds of thousands of Egyptians rallied on Tuesday for the biggest day of protests yet in their campaign to oust President Hosni Mubarak.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BURIAL

Swedish archeologist finds ancient mass grave in Egypt

A Swedish archeologist has discovered a 3,000-year-old mass grave at the Gebel el-Silsila site in southern Egypt.

Swedish archeologist finds ancient mass grave in Egypt
John Ward and the team with one of the sarcophogi. Photo: Gebel El Silsila Project
Maria Nilsson, Researcher in Classical Archeology at Lund University, told Sweden’s TT newswire that although her group had so far dug through less than half of the grave site, they had already found a large number of human remains. 
 
“It’s just skeleton after skeleton after skeleton,” she said. “We haven’t yet finished the first chamber, but we have so far taken up 50 adults and 25 children.” 
 
Nilsson and her British husband John Ward, who is the project’s Assistant Director, announced the discovery in a video after it was announced by the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquity on Thursday. 
 

 
The group discovered the shaft last year, but only realised its full significance when they started digging this October. The shaft was found five metres under ground and leads to two chambers, each filled with water, sand and sludge. 
 
View to the south-east of chamber 1. Photo: Gebel el Silsila Project
 
The grave is thought to date from Egypt’s 18th dynasty, making it around 3,400 years old. As well as bodies, the archeologists have found burial goods, such as scarabs, amulets, and different types of pots, coming from three generations of pharoahs: Thutmosis II, III och Amenhotep II.
 
Writing in her blog, Nilsson, said that no similar mass grave had been found as part of the dig. 
 
“No other tomb documented at Gebel el-Silsila previously has contained such a high number of entombed individuals,” she wrote.
 
“One of the more important results of the discovery at Gebel el-Silsila is the amount of buried children and women, indicating that there was a complete society with entire families living and working in ancient Kheny.”
 
 
Men-Kheper-Re scarab. Photo: Anders Andersson
 
“What we can see from the burial goods and the actual architecture of the tomb is that they belonged to the upper middle-class,” Nilsson said. “For various reasons, we believe that they were involved in quarry work.” 
 
The archeologists have several theories for why so many bodies were collected in the same place. 
 
Perhaps it was a kind of temporary morgue where Egypt’s priests kept bodies while waiting for grave sites to become available. Perhaps there had been an epidemic.   
 
In February Maria Nilsson and John Ward are returning to Sweden, and will be returning to the burial place next autumn. 
 
View from the shaft into chamber.  Photo: Anders Andersson
 
 
SHOW COMMENTS