SHARE
COPY LINK

DEMOCRACY

Swedish tour operators end Egypt season

Swedish tour operators Apollo, Ving and Fritidsresor have cancelled all trips to Egypt for the rest of the winter season, as they continue to repatriate Swedish tourists who remain in the country.

For those travelers who have booked a trip to Egypt, the travel firms are working lay on additional flights and new hotel rooms, primarily in the Canary Islands.

“All passengers will of course be offered open re-routing,” Fritidsresor said in a statement.

While unrest continues in Egypt, Swedish tour operators are are working to complete the repatriation of the Swedes currently on holiday in the country. The foreign ministry however expects several thousand will remain in Egypt at the end of the week.

The evacuation of Swedish tourists from Egypt is reported to progressing smoothly, the major tour operators stated on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, 800 Ving tourists were flown back to Sweden and during the week several extra flights will be laid on to bring home Swedes from resorts in Hurghada and Sharm el-Sheikh.

Apollo on Tuesday flew home all of its passengers who had been in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh and on Thursday around 1200 people who had been in Hurghada will be flown home.

Both Ving and Apollo announced that they expect to fly home their remaining passengers on Saturday.

The foreign ministry estimates that, despite the efforts, 2000-3000 Swedes will remain in Egypt at the end of the week. This is due to the fact that in addition to charter travellers there are number of people travelling independently in the country.

The ministry is follow developments, but there are currently no plans to lay on extra services aside from charter tour firm.

“We have made no amendments to our travel advice,” said Camilla Åkesson Lindblom at the foreign ministry’s press service.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

BURIAL

Swedish archeologist finds ancient mass grave in Egypt

A Swedish archeologist has discovered a 3,000-year-old mass grave at the Gebel el-Silsila site in southern Egypt.

Swedish archeologist finds ancient mass grave in Egypt
John Ward and the team with one of the sarcophogi. Photo: Gebel El Silsila Project
Maria Nilsson, Researcher in Classical Archeology at Lund University, told Sweden’s TT newswire that although her group had so far dug through less than half of the grave site, they had already found a large number of human remains. 
 
“It’s just skeleton after skeleton after skeleton,” she said. “We haven’t yet finished the first chamber, but we have so far taken up 50 adults and 25 children.” 
 
Nilsson and her British husband John Ward, who is the project’s Assistant Director, announced the discovery in a video after it was announced by the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquity on Thursday. 
 

 
The group discovered the shaft last year, but only realised its full significance when they started digging this October. The shaft was found five metres under ground and leads to two chambers, each filled with water, sand and sludge. 
 
View to the south-east of chamber 1. Photo: Gebel el Silsila Project
 
The grave is thought to date from Egypt’s 18th dynasty, making it around 3,400 years old. As well as bodies, the archeologists have found burial goods, such as scarabs, amulets, and different types of pots, coming from three generations of pharoahs: Thutmosis II, III och Amenhotep II.
 
Writing in her blog, Nilsson, said that no similar mass grave had been found as part of the dig. 
 
“No other tomb documented at Gebel el-Silsila previously has contained such a high number of entombed individuals,” she wrote.
 
“One of the more important results of the discovery at Gebel el-Silsila is the amount of buried children and women, indicating that there was a complete society with entire families living and working in ancient Kheny.”
 
 
Men-Kheper-Re scarab. Photo: Anders Andersson
 
“What we can see from the burial goods and the actual architecture of the tomb is that they belonged to the upper middle-class,” Nilsson said. “For various reasons, we believe that they were involved in quarry work.” 
 
The archeologists have several theories for why so many bodies were collected in the same place. 
 
Perhaps it was a kind of temporary morgue where Egypt’s priests kept bodies while waiting for grave sites to become available. Perhaps there had been an epidemic.   
 
In February Maria Nilsson and John Ward are returning to Sweden, and will be returning to the burial place next autumn. 
 
View from the shaft into chamber.  Photo: Anders Andersson
 
 
SHOW COMMENTS