“Mamma was shocked and I couldn’t eat for two days,” the woman’s daughter Milica told the Expressen newspaper.
Milica’s mother discovered the unsavoury additive last Monday as she was pouring the last drops of the container of filmjölk, a sour-tasting fermented milk product popular in Sweden, to give to her dog.
In addition to the remaining creamy, yoghurt-like liquid, a condom, its packaging, a pink-coloured plastic ring, and a receipt squirted out into the dog’s dish.
Milica told Expressen neither she nor her mother were able to eat for days after the incident, which took place in their flat in Gunnilse, northwest of Gothenburg.
“She’s started to eat again, but she’s never going to buy filmjölk again,” she said.
According to Milica, a customer service representative from Arla Foods – the Scandinavian dairy cooperative which produced the filmjölk – told her that her mother’s discovery was “impossible”.
The Arla rep theorised that someone in Milica’s home may have placed the condom in the package as a prank, something which she says couldn’t have happened.
The package has since been sent to Arla for analysis, but spokesperson Katarina Malmström is doubtful that the condom ended up in the filmjölk during the packaging process.
“It’s impossible…there’s not a chance” she told The Local.
“It’s a closed process and there are filters and things that would stop something so large from ending up in a container.”
Nevertheless, the company is taking Milica’s complaint seriously.
“The first thing we need to do is confirm what exactly was in the package,” said Malmström, who theorised that the incident could have been the result of sabotage.
“We haven’t had a chance to speak with the customer about whether or not the seal on the screw top was broken or not when she opened the package,” she said.
According to Malmström, it will likely be several days before technicians at the company will have any answers regarding when and how the condom and the other items ended up in the package.