Örebro prof murder suspect commits suicide

A 52-year-old man suspected of murdering and dismembering a female colleague from Örebro University committed suicide on Wednesday.

Örebro prof murder suspect commits suicide

“We received a call from the detention centre at 9.47am about a suspected suicide. He was taken by ambulance to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10.10am,” Annika Haaster of the Örebro police told the TT news agency.

The man had been in detention since his arrest on January 4th on suspicions of having killed colleague Eva Magnusson on December 28th.

He has continually denied the allegations.

A new detention hearing was scheduled to take place on Friday.

According to an earlier decision by the district court in Örebro in central Sweden, prosecutors were set to file formal charges during the hearing, but had requested an extension, as the police investigation was still ongoing.

Investigators were waiting for results from the Swedish National Laboratory of Forensic Science (Statens kriminaltekniska laboratorium – SKL).

Magnusson was reported missing on December 29th and had reportedly had a relationship with the 52-year-old suspect.

On New Year’s Day, the suspect was taken in for questioning and remanded in custody three days later on suspicions of abducting Magnusson.

Parts of Magnusson’s body were found on January 10th in a wooded area outside of Örebro following a tip from a member of the public.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Six arrested over break-in at Sweden’s Örebro Airport

Six people have been arrested following a break-in at Örebro Airport on Saturday night.

Six arrested over break-in at Sweden’s Örebro Airport
File photo: Johan Nilsson/TT

The alarm was raised just after midnight after both security staff and members of the public observed suspicious activity at the airport, which is served regularly by charter passenger flights and is Sweden's fourth-largest hub for cargo.

“Our patrols arrived just after the suspects had climbed out of one of the aircraft, which they had broken into,” Stefan Dangardt, police press officer in the Bergslagen region, told TT.

The people, four young men and two young women, have been questioned by police. They are suspected of serious theft as well as violation of public security laws, which forbid unauthorised access to sensitive areas such as airports.

Details of what they are suspected of stealing are unclear.

“This is far from terror or sabotage. It’s about youthful stupidity,” Dangardt said.

Five of the suspects were later released and one person remained under arrest. All six remain under suspicion of breaking the law.

READ ALSO: Police investigate 'sabotage' at Swedish airport