SHARE
COPY LINK

SEXUAL ABUSE

Abuse reports rise after Olympian’s bombshell

The number of reports of child sex abuse more than doubled in Sweden in the days following revelations by former Olympic high jumper Patrik Sjöberg that he was molested by his late coach and stepfather.

Abuse reports rise after Olympian's bombshell

Independent support group Children’s Rights in Society (Barnens Rätt i Samhället – BRIS) said it received 38 phone calls relating to child sexual abuse in the three days following Sjöberg’s harrowing account of his treatment at the hands of national team coach Viljo Nousiainen. BRIS took 19 hotline calls in the same period last year.

“I’ve said it all along: even if I only manage to get one child to speak out, it will be worth it,” Sjöberg, 46, told newspaper Aftonbladet.

BRIS secretary general Göran Harnesk said he welcomed Sjöberg’s decision to go public with his story after decades of silence.

“It’s important that a famous person dares to speak out about this,” Harnesk told news agency TT. “That generally results in others feeling they’re not the only ones affected.”

Nousiainen, who died in 1999, had a relationship with Patrik Sjöberg’s mother for many years.

In the very frank autobiography ‘What you didn’t see’ (‘Det du inte såg’), Sjöberg, who won the World Championships in Rome in 1987 and holds three Olympic medals, tells of how Nousiainen soon became the father figure his eleven-year-old self had been lacking.

Nousiainen gave the rising star his full attention and lots of praise when he did something well.

But Sjöberg also remembered waking on a number of occasions with his sheets and pyjamas pulled off. He said he confronted Nousianen several times but his stepfather always denied any wrongdoing.

When Nousiainen separated from Sjöberg’s mother, Sjöberg chose to go with his stepfather, a decision he described as “a no-brainer” if he wanted to be the world’s best high jumper.

When Sjöberg turned fifteen, he decided that the abuse had to stop. Nousiainen tried a few more times but Sjöberg made it clear that he would go to the police if it happened again.

Sjöberg doesn’t think he was the first and he knows he wasn’t the last among Nousiainen’s victims.

Another Swedish sports profile to come forward after Sjöberg’s revelation was athletics coach Yannick Tregaro, who said he was abused by Nousiainen from the age of twelve or thirteen.

According to Tregaro, he was having a rough time at home and was turning more and more to his coach for support. As he got older he realised that what was going on was not strictly above board.

Tregaro said he was pleased that Sjöberg had come forward with his revelation.

The former world champion explained that he had never told anyone about how

his coach repeatedly used sports therapy as an excuse to get him naked and

molest him until he two years ago was talking with former Norwegian youth

champion Christian Skaar Thomassen and discovered that he too had been abused

by Nousiainen.

Sjöberg’s and Tregaro’s revelations have rocked the Swedish athletics establishment. Many worked closely with Nousiainen without ever realizing what was going on.

The Swedish Sports Confederation (Riksidrottsförbundet) said that it was taking the matter of child abuse very seriously.

According to chairwoman Karin Mattson-Weijber, the Confederation has recently issued stricter guidelines as to how individuals and sports clubs should act with regards to abuse.

It has also demanded to be given the right to carry out background checks for sports leaders, something that today is practice prior to hiring schoolteachers and preschool staff.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CHILD ABUSE

Swedish daycare worker jailed for child sex abuse

A Swedish court on Friday sentenced a male daycare (dagis) worker to six and a half years in prison for four cases of rape and 20 cases of sexual assault against toddlers aged one to three in his charge.

Swedish daycare worker jailed for child sex abuse
The assaults took place at eight of the daycares where the man worked from March 2014 until June 2015. Photo: Victor Lundberg / TT

The 40-year-old man, who worked at 40 different daycares in the southern municipality of Kristianstad as a temp agency employee, pleaded guilty to the charges, a statement from the Kristianstad district court said.

The assaults took place at eight of the daycares where he worked from March 2014 until June 2015.

“The man sexually abused several girls during diaper changes. The girls were between one and three years old. The 40-year-old, documented the abuses himself with his mobile phone camera,” the court said.

“The crimes are considered aggravated because of the way he carried them out, the fact that he abused his position as a child minder, and that he abused the trust he enjoyed,” it added.

“Crimes like these are very rare,” court spokesman Markus Nilsson told the AFP news agency.

The defendant also found guilty of one charge of abusive photography and one case of aggravated child pornography for documenting the abuses and saving the photographs on his computer.

The man, whose name was not disclosed, was caught in July when he sexually abused a young girl at a theme park where he was employed.

During police interrogation he came clean about the daycare assaults and rapes.

He risked a maximum sentence of seven-and-a-half years behind bars but was given a year less than the maximum because he had collaborated with the police investigation.

The court also ordered the man to pay damages totalling 1.6 million kronor ($188,000) to his victims.