Two anglers dead after archipelago mishap

An afternoon of fishing turned deadly on Tuesday after two men drowned in the St. Anna's archipelago outside of Söderköping in eastern Sweden.

Two anglers dead after archipelago mishap
A file image from St. Anna's archipelago

Both men, aged 54 and 28, were standing on shore near the Djursunda bridge outside of Ramsdal when one of them suddenly fell in the water.

“I’d seen these two men standing on shore fishing. Suddenly one of them was lying in the water, and just after that the other one was in too, probably to try to pull up the first guy,” eyewitness Åke Karlsson told the local Norrköpings Tidningar newspaper.

Karlsson approached in his boat in a response to calls for help from the two men, but it was too late.

“I realised I couldn’t do anything but call (emergency number) 112,” he said.

With the help of a neighbour, Karlsson eventually managed to pull one of the men up on shore and attempted to resuscitate him, but to no avail.

An hour later, rescue divers located the body of the second man.

Both men are said to be from nearby Östergötland County and there are no suspicions of foul play.

“This was a tragic accident,” Magnus Holmström, duty officer with the Östgöta police, to the TT news agency.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port

UPDATE: A ferry that ran aground next to islands between Finland and Sweden with nearly 430 crew and passengers on board, was refloated and heading for port, its owners said Sunday.

Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port
The Viking Line ship Grace hit rocks in in the Aland archipelago. Photo AFP

The Viking Line's “Grace” hit rocks on Saturday afternoon while sailing between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, shortly before a stopover in Mariehamn, in the Aland archipelago, Finland's coast guard said.

The passengers had to spend the night on board, though there was no immediate danger as it was not taking on water. No one was hurt in the incident.

A tug boat helped refloat the ferry in the small hours of Sunday morning, the coast guard said on Twitter.

After disembarking around 260 passengers at Mariehamn, it went on to its home port of Turku in Finland, a Viking Line spokeswoman told AFP Sunday. It would undergo repairs in the coming days, she added.

Although the cause of the accident has yet to be established, the coast guard said there were strong winds in the area at the time.

The company cancelled its Saturday ferry service, which was to have been taken by a smaller vessel, because of a storm warning.

In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aaland Island and the passengers had to be evacuated.