Cops drop Örebro prof suspect suicide probe

TT/Rebecca Martin
TT/Rebecca Martin - [email protected]
Cops drop Örebro prof suspect suicide probe

An investigation into the suicide of the man suspected of murdering and dismembering a Örebro professor in March has been dropped with staff cleared of any suspicion of breach of duty.


“The investigation shows that there is nothing to indicate that a breach of regulations regarding detained persons, or other legislation, has been committed,” prosecutor Bent Landahl wrote in a statement.

The man, who hung himself in the detention centre gym, had been in custody since his arrest on January 4th on suspicions of having killed colleague Eva Magnusson on December 28th.

Prosecutors were set to file formal charges during a hearing later in the week, but had requested an extension, as the police investigation was still ongoing.

Investigators were waiting for results from the Swedish National Laboratory of Forensic Science (Statens kriminaltekniska laboratorium – SKL).

Eva Magnusson had been reported missing on December 29th and had reportedly had a relationship with the 52-year-old suspect.

The suspect was taken in for questioning on New Year's Day, and remanded into custody three days later on suspicions of abducting Magnusson.

Parts of Magnusson's body were found on January 10th in a wooded area outside of Örebro following a tip from a member of the public.

The 52-year-old continually denied the allegations and subsequently took his own life by hanging himself while staff thought he was working out. He used his shoelaces and a strap found on the gym equipment to hang himself.

According to the prosecutor, detention centre staff checked on the man once every fifteen minutes when he was first brought in, but after a month this was cut down to once an hour.

“The man’s mental health was described as stable throughout the time he was held by all those that came into contact with him,” Landahl wrote.

After the latest hearing where he had been faced with important evidence, this belief was reinforced as the man continued to conduct himself “like always, calm and collected”.

No one had thought it necessary to change the procedure around his work out regime, which he generally performed in solitude.

But the prosecutor has found that the investigation indicates that detention centre staff followed regulations and therefore the investigation has been dropped.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also