Father in custody after wedding stabbing

TT/The Local/rm
TT/The Local/rm - [email protected]
Father in custody after wedding stabbing

A 52-year-old man, suspected of stabbing his son at his daughter’s wedding last weekend, was remanded into custody on Wednesday by the district court in Lund.


“My client denies any responsibility in what occurred. He has acted in self defense and never had the intention to kill,” the man’s defense lawyer Leif Persson said in answer to the prosecutor’s account of events.

During the wedding drama that unfolded at Trollenäs castle in Skåne on Saturday, local police have reported that a fight broke out between the man and several of the other guests, resulting in the man going berserk, and stabbing his son in the stomach.

In the chaos that ensued, several other people were also stabbed, and the 52-year-old was wounded as well.

A total of six people were in the end taken to nearby Skåne University Hospital with knife wounds, according to police officers.

The 52-year-old was taken by police into custody, but due to the head injuries he received during the fight was among those brought to the hospital.

His son, although seriously wounded, is expected to survive his injuries.

According to the 52-year-old’s lawyer, the background to the conflict between father and son is complicated.

“He didn’t really want to come to the wedding in the first place but did it for his daughter whom he loves,” said Persson, according to TT.

“There is a deep rift between father and son after the son has changed sides and is supporting the regime of the country they are originally from,” he continued.

According to Persson, the father claims his son came up to him and made an inappropriate remark whereupon he tried to punch his father.

Several people then attacked the 52-year-old, who pulled out a knife to defend himself, according to his lawyer.

“He feels that there is a definite threat from his son,” Persson said.

According to TT the man looked exhausted when he entered the courtroom accompanied by his lawyer. He was wearing a neck brace and both eyes were bruised.

Shortly after, the prosecutor demanded the rest of the hearing to be conducted behind closed doors due to the ongoing police investigation and the gathered press was obliged to leave the room.

Straight after the remand hearing, the 52-year-old was taken to a detention centre in Trelleborg.

On the recommendation of his lawyer, the man will not appeal the decision that he be held in custody until the trial.

Charges will be filed by August 3d.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also