“Of course we are terribly sorry and apologize if anyone was offended. It was never our intention,” said local resident Joakim Karlsson, one of the guys behind the bachelor party prank, to the local Borås Tidning (BT) daily.
Police in Borås, in western Sweden, on Wednesday appealed to the public for anyone who may have witnessed the dramatic abduction of a man in a parking garage on Saturday to come forward, according to BT.
Several men had been seen attacking a man and forcing him into a car in one of the city’s parking garages.
However it didn’t take long before the perpetrators themselves made contact with the police. And instead of being kidnappers, they turned out to be the organisers of a bachelor party.
“I guess someone saw us and thought it looked nasty,” Karlsson told BT.
Karlsson explained that it is quite common for the bride and groom to be kidnapped prior to their bachelor or bachelorette parties.
“But we shouted ‘lie down’ and maybe there was an echo in the garage,” he said to BT.
As soon as the party-goers found out that the police were searching for witnesses they got in touch and revealed the full story.
The police responded that the prank was lacking in judgement. They had no choice but to start an investigation when contacted by shocked witnesses to the incident.
“We couldn’t rule out that it was a prank, but neither could we rule out that it was a serious crime,“ said police officer Sture Torstensson of the local police to BT.
There are plans for the police to meet with the pranksters later in the week in order to go through what really happened.
But despite the confusion, the groom, a former local resident who is currently living in Sydney, Australia, enjoyed his bachelor party very much, Karlsson told the newspaper.