SHARE
COPY LINK

ASSAULT

Court orders HIV-infected man into isolation

A Malmö man in his twenties is suspected of having had unprotected sex without informing partners about his HIV infection.

The Administrative Court has now ruled that the man must enter forced isolation, according to a report in the local Sydsvenskan daily.

The man has been previously brought to the attention of the Skåne region’s Centre for Communicable Disease Control (Smittskydd Skåne), for neglecting his regular contact with the hospital, and for having had unprotected sex with his girlfriend for two and half year without informing her about his infection.

When this was discovered in December 2010, the girlfriend was informed and reported her boyfriend to the police, leading his case to land on prosecutor Jeanette Sprimont’s table.

“I started by contacting the Centre for Communicable Disease Control before proceeding with the case. I needed to get some information: Who is this person? When and how was he infected? What does he know about his disease, and what does he know about his obligations?” she said to Sydsvenskan.

Concerns that more women may have been put at risk through unprotected sex with this man are now being investigated, and these concerns also form the reason behind the man’s forced isolation.

He will spend up to three months in isolation, according to the Administrative Court’s ruling, which states that the man has not done anything to minimise the risk of the infection spreading, despite knowing his obligations.

“As soon as we get him placed in this isolation, we can talk to him about what we know,” Sprimont said.

The man opposes the court’s ruling, denying that he has had unprotected sex, or that he is planning to have it in future.

However, he remains currently accused of attempted aggrieved assault, between July 2008 and December 2010.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ASSAULT

Swedish NBA star won’t play amid assault probe

Swedish-American Jeffery Taylor of the Charlotte Hornets will not be involved in team activities as the basketball association and police probe the domestic assault charge against him.

Swedish NBA star won't play amid assault probe
Jeffery Taylor in action for Sweden against Russia in 2013. AP Photo

The team, in a statement Friday, did not characterize its action as a suspension, and indicated Taylor agreed to the measure.

"As an organization, we understand and appreciate the seriousness of this matter, and will assist the NBA and law enforcement in any way we can until this comes to an acceptable resolution," the Hornets said.

"We have spoken with Jeffery and his representatives and they fully understand our position."

Taylor was arrested and charged on Thursday in East Lansing, Michigan, just the latest unsavory incident to tarnish the reputation of US sports.

The 25-year-old was arraigned and has been formally charged with one count of domestic assault, one count of assault and one count of malicious destruction of property, a police statement said.

Authorities did not outline the circumstances of the case, saying only that police were called after a report of domestic assault at an East Lansing hotel at around 1:00 am on Thursday.
 

Taylor, a 25-year-old measuring 201 centimetres, was born in Norrköping in eastern Sweden. He is about to enter his third season in the NBA. He holds dual Swedish and American citizenship

He missed most of last season after rupturing his right Achilles tendon in December.

His arrest came just days after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said the league was reviewing its policies on domestic violence in light of the public relations crisis the NFL is facing over its handling of several such cases involving high-profile players.

That included the NFL's clumsy handling of Ravens running back Ray Rice, who knocked his future wife unconscious in a casino elevator in February.

SHOW COMMENTS