SHARE
COPY LINK
SWEDISH HONEYMOONER SLAYING

SOUTH AFRICA

New delay in Swedish bride murder trial

The trial of the alleged killers of newlywed honeymooner Anni Dewani was moved Tuesday to South Africa's high court in Cape Town where proceedings will start in February, a South African magistrate ruled.

New delay in Swedish bride murder trial

“A pre-trial conference will take place there on February 10th next year,” said magistrate Jackie Redelinghuys.

Defendant Xolile Mngeni was helped up the stairs into the dock by his co-accused after undergoing surgery to remove a brain tumour in June, but was ordered back into custody ahead of the high court appearance.

The postponement is the latest in the November 2010 murder, in which Anni’s husband Shrien is accused of masterminding her death in a botched car hijacking while the couple were honeymooning in Cape Town.

A London court ruled last month that Dewani can be extradited to South Africa where prosecutors want him to face murder charges alongside the two accused, but Britain’s interior minister is to make a final decision in the

matter next month.

Three men were originally charged with the killing but the couple’s driver Zola Tongo was jailed for 18 years after turning state witness and pleading guilty. He claims Dewani had ordered the car-jacking and paid him.

Questions were raised if Mngeni would stand trial as medical reports last month warned that his condition could kill him and that he would not be able to answer charges even if he completed treatment, local media reported.

He and the second suspect, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, were both remanded in custody.

Dewani was thrown out of a car and his wife abducted and shot dead on November 13th after the newlyweds were allegedly hijacked in a poor township on the outskirts of Cape Town.

The businessman is being treated in a mental hospital for depression and stress and has denied all wrongdoing.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

H&M

Coming soon: an H&M store in South Africa

Swedish cheap'n'chic fashion giant H&M will open its first store in South Africa in 2015, its first foray into sub-Saharan Africa, the company announced on Thursday.

Coming soon: an H&M store in South Africa

H&M said it had signed a contract for a store in Johannesburg, but it was also looking into opening in Cape Town as well and therefore it could not say which store would open first.

“We’re still in the early stages … but there will be several stores,” H&M spokeswoman Camilla Emilsson-Falk told AFP.

IN PICTURES: Hot designs at Mercedes Benz Stockholm Fashion Week

The company said it saw great potential in the South African market but refused to disclose any details.

“We see great potential for further expansion in this region. We look forward to bringing fashion and quality at the best price to the customers in South Africa,” H&M’s chief executive Karl-Johan Persson said in a statement.

The first store that opens will be a full concept flagship store, the company said.

H&M’s only other stores on the African continent are in Egypt and Morocco.

The company said it had opened some 100 new stores in the second quarter, bringing its total number of outlets worldwide to 2,908.

IN PICTURES: More scenes from Mercedes Benz Stockholm Fashion Week

Using an average annual exchange rate, H&M remained the biggest clothing company in 2012 with its sales edging out Spanish competitor Inditex, which owns Zara.

But H&M risks losing its number one spot this year to Inditex, which has twice as many stores, is growing faster and is more profitable.

IN PICTURES: Take a look back through some of H&M’s top collaborations

AFP/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

SHOW COMMENTS