Missing 4-year-old was murdered: police

The autopsy of a 4-year-old boy who was found dead Sunday night in a wooded area near his home in south central Sweden has led police to conclude he was murdered, prompting a formal criminal investigation.

Missing 4-year-old was murdered: police

During a Monday afternoon press conference, Kronoberg County police spokesperson Robert Loeffel refused to go into specifics about the nature of police suspicions.

Nor did he release any details about how the boy died.

“Our investigators have worked on the scene all night, after which the boy was transported to Lund where an autopsy was carried out. There forensic experts could conclude that the boy’s death was caused by a crime,” Loeffel told reporters, according to the Dagens Nyhter (DN) newspaper.

“We don’t know what caused the boy’s death or who did it, but we consider the incident to be a murder.”

So far, no one has been contacted about being a suspect in the case.

The boy went missing on Sunday afternoon after having an argument with a sibling at a playground in a residential area of Ljungby near which his body was found.

The boy has a total of five siblings.

A photographer with the Scanpix photo agency described the atmosphere in Ljungby, with few people out on the streets.

“People are terrified here and many don’t dare let their kids leave school,” the photographer told the TT news agency.

Police continue to examine a roughly 300 square-metre area around where the 4-year-old’s body was found.

Police were first notified about the boy’s disappearance about 7.30pm on Sunday night.

Local resident Gun-Maj Lydén described how she was awakened on Sunday night by a large amount of police activity near her home, just a stone’s throw from where the 4-year-old’s body was found.

“We saw how they found something. It was really unpleasant. It was just a small child,” she told TT.

The boy had been missing for five hours when his body was found by a volunteer who had joined police in their search.

Police continue to knock on doors in the area in hopes of getting more information and tips from the public.

“We would obviously like to have more tips from the public,” said Loeffel.

During the press conference it was also revealed that the family had been the target of an investigation by social services following a complaint filed in late August of this year.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Fatal workplace mishaps claim two lives

Two workers died on the job in Sweden on Wednesday in two separate accidents involving cranes, less than a week after two workers died after drowning in coal tar at a coke plant.

Fatal workplace mishaps claim two lives

In one accident, a 63-year-old crane operator died after a ten-metre long post came loose and hit him in the head. The accident took place near the Rörvik dock on the island of Orust off Sweden’s west coast.

Workers were operating a crane on a barge located several metres from shore in an effort to secure the posts into the seabed. For some unknown reason, one of the posts fell from the crane, striking the 63-year-old. He was rushed to Norra Älvsborgs hospital where he later died from his injuries.

The second accident took place in central Malmö. Two workers were up in a bucket lift stringing up Christmas lights on lamp posts when their truck was struck by another truck.

One worker, a 64-year-old man, fell several metres to the ground, while his colleague managed to remain dangling in the bucket. Witnesses reported seeing the man lying bloodied on the ground as ambulance workers tried to revive him.

He was taken to hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

The truck that struck the crane was driven by a student driver in upper secondary school who was accompanied by an instructor, the Sydsvenskan newspaper reported.

While no one is currently suspected of committing any crime in connection with the accident in Malmö, two police reports were filed, one for a workplace accident and the other for a traffic violation.

The two deaths come just days after two workers died at a coke plant in northern Sweden after drowning in coal tar that spilled out of a tank during routine maintenance. The incident, which took place at a facility operated by steel-maker SSAB, sparked anger from unions about lax workplace safety.

“It is completely unacceptable that there are such shortcomings in the working environment that people die on the job,” IF Metall spokesman Anders Ferbe told the TT news agency at the time.

TT/The Local/dl

Follow The Local on Twitter