Town reeling as police search continues

As police continue their search of the area where the 4-year-old boy was found dead on Sunday evening by scouring the location and going from door to door in the neighbourhood near the scene of the crime, the local community is trying to get to grips with what has happened.

Town reeling as police search continues

At nearby Kungshögsskolan, located only a few blocks away from the scene of the crime, and where one of the murdered 4-year-old’s six siblings is also a student, staff is doing what they can to assuage the worries.

”We want to have as normal and safe a school-day as possible. School should be a place where everyone feels safe. But a terribly tragic incident like this creates concern,” said principal Ann-Christin Peterson-Rosén to news agency TT.

Staff and students are trying to continue as normal after the tragedy. But it is difficult and the concern among parents, children and staff is tangible.

Extra staff has now been called in to keep an eye out when the children play outside.

”Apart from talking to the students they will be vigilant as to who comes to the school. This is staff that the kids are familiar with from before,” she said.

Both children and adults have been visiting the local church. There they leave messages for the stricken family and light candles to honour the memory of the dead 4-year-old.

”It always feels worse when it is such a small child. I think this incident affects our entire country,” said vicar Håkan Sjömar to TT.

The church has extended its opening hours to cater for all those who need solace.

”And considering how many have visited so far it is filling an important function,” Sjömar said.

After the preliminary autopsy of the 4-year-old boy’s body, police are continuing the investigation into his murder.

So far no one has been brought in on suspicion for boy’s killing. While police have said the autopsy revealed what caused the boy’s death, they remain tight lipped about exactly how the boy died.

Sniffer dogs and forensic officers has been scouring the area, which was cordoned off by police after the macabre discovery on Sunday evening.

The police are hoping for more tip-offs from the residents in the area.

”We have already made some findings and we will continue to question a lot of people. But I can’t make public anything about what we have found or the information we have gleaned at this stage,” Kronoberg police spokesperson Robert Loeffel told TT.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Fatal workplace mishaps claim two lives

Two workers died on the job in Sweden on Wednesday in two separate accidents involving cranes, less than a week after two workers died after drowning in coal tar at a coke plant.

Fatal workplace mishaps claim two lives

In one accident, a 63-year-old crane operator died after a ten-metre long post came loose and hit him in the head. The accident took place near the Rörvik dock on the island of Orust off Sweden’s west coast.

Workers were operating a crane on a barge located several metres from shore in an effort to secure the posts into the seabed. For some unknown reason, one of the posts fell from the crane, striking the 63-year-old. He was rushed to Norra Älvsborgs hospital where he later died from his injuries.

The second accident took place in central Malmö. Two workers were up in a bucket lift stringing up Christmas lights on lamp posts when their truck was struck by another truck.

One worker, a 64-year-old man, fell several metres to the ground, while his colleague managed to remain dangling in the bucket. Witnesses reported seeing the man lying bloodied on the ground as ambulance workers tried to revive him.

He was taken to hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

The truck that struck the crane was driven by a student driver in upper secondary school who was accompanied by an instructor, the Sydsvenskan newspaper reported.

While no one is currently suspected of committing any crime in connection with the accident in Malmö, two police reports were filed, one for a workplace accident and the other for a traffic violation.

The two deaths come just days after two workers died at a coke plant in northern Sweden after drowning in coal tar that spilled out of a tank during routine maintenance. The incident, which took place at a facility operated by steel-maker SSAB, sparked anger from unions about lax workplace safety.

“It is completely unacceptable that there are such shortcomings in the working environment that people die on the job,” IF Metall spokesman Anders Ferbe told the TT news agency at the time.

TT/The Local/dl

Follow The Local on Twitter