Police and prosecutors are currently releasing very limited information regarding the case.
“I can only confirm that they are in detention and that a hearing will be held on Wednesday,” said police spokesperson Thomas Fuxborg.
The group of suspects consists of six men and two women, aged between 23 and 40 years-old.
Prosecutor Per-Håkan Larsson confirmed to Sveriges Radio Gothenburg that the suspects have been held in custody to prevent them from impeding the investigation.
The alleged embezzlement was exposed by the casino’s own security staff. The seven employees were taken in for questioning in the morning and formally arrested later in the day.
A further person is suspected of involvement in the alleged offences, but they are not employed by the casino.
“The casino is under camera surveillance and we have incredibly talented investigators who sit and work with monitoring. It is thus our own staff who have discovered this,” said Nina Enhager, Casino Cosmopol’s information officer to the TT news agency.
Enhager emphasized that the camera surveillance was the key to exposing the fraud.
When asked whether the she had witnessed money being put into pockets, she replied:
“That I can’t answer.”
Neither was she able to divulge how much money had been misappropriated, but underlined that no customers have been affected.
Prosecutor Per-Håkan Larsson has until Saturday at 12 by which to decide whether he should request that the eight detainees are remanded into custody.
“But, I will probably take a decision already on Friday afternoon,” he said.