King knew of gangster meetups: Lettström
TT/The Local/cg · 3 Dec 2011, 09:47
Published: 03 Dec 2011 09:47 GMT+01:00
- From wedding bliss to royal crisis: the state of Sweden's monarchy (17 Jun 11)
- King Carl XVI Gustaf: the complete interview (01 Jun 11)
- Alleged King pics to be released: ex-gangster (01 Jun 11)
On Lettström's initiative, Daniel Webb, acting for well-known criminal Milan Sevo, tried to get sex club owner Mille Markovic to deny the information published in the scandalous book about the Swedish king.
As well as a denial from Markovic, Lettström wanted to buy the alleged scandalous pictures of the king at Markovic's club, reported Aftonbladet.
Lettström's silencing attempts are said to have gone on for some months, without a deal being struck with Markovic.
The king publically renounced Lettström's actions in an interview with news agency TT in May. When asked if the king had known about Anders Lettström's contacts with Stockholm's criminal underworld, the king responded with a definite no.
In tape recordings made by Daniel Webb, however, Lettström claims to have informed the king of his ongoings.
"After our meeting on Kungsholmen I spoke with the king that evening, and told him that you'd said Mille was willing to deny, and that he wanted to be paid for it. You didn't know how much, but thought it would be between one and two million," Lettström said to Webb in the recording.
Lettström repeats that he has spoken to the king about contacting Markovic once more in the same conversation.
"If we paid Mille for his denial, he would make sure that some of his sources denied it too. That's what our deal entailed, and I've mentioned it to the king," said Lettström according to Aftonbladet.
The recordings of Lettström's conversations with Webb haven't previously been published.
However, Lettström maintains that the king was unaware of his contacts with Daniel Webb, and claims the sound material is manipulated.
"It's like a photo montage, only with sound. It's taken out of context," said Lettström to Aftonbladet.
The company Voxanalys and British experts on sound analysis have, acting on Aftonbladet's behalf, investigated the recordings. The Swedish and British experts both judged the recordings free from manipulation, modification or cuts from different recordings.
The court's information officer Bertil Ternert was unwilling to comment further on the matter, stating that information about these recordings has already been published and commented.
Ternert added that an allegation made by Lettström on the recordings, namely that the king's telephone was being tapped by the National Bureau of Investigation (Rikskriminalpolisen), was "remarkable", according to Aftonbladet.