One dead in severe sailing accident

A severe sailing accident on Saturday evening had a fatal outcome. One person died after being fished out of the water after a sail boat sank outside Harstena in the Gryt archipelago in eastern Sweden.

Two more people have been hospitalized and are reportedly in severe condition, reported the Östergötland police’s communication centre (LKC).

Gothenburg’s sea rescue centre received a call at 9pm, reporting that the boat had begun taking in water after running aground. Onboard were three people, a man, a woman and their daughter, as well as the family’s dog.

Both rescue boats and helicopters were dispatched, and were on the scene of the accident by 10pm, according to newspaper Dagens Nyheter.

However, it took some time to find the boat, which was then already partially under water.

Two people, the man and one of the women, were found relatively quickly nearby the boat, both suffering from hypothermia, and immediately rushed to hospital.

The second woman wasn’t found until 11.30pm, and was unconscious when raised out of the water, reported the paper.

She later died at Nyköpings hospital, where one more person is being cared for. The third person was taken to Vrinnevi hospital.

The police have yet to identify the victims.

The dog drowned.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port

UPDATE: A ferry that ran aground next to islands between Finland and Sweden with nearly 430 crew and passengers on board, was refloated and heading for port, its owners said Sunday.

Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port
The Viking Line ship Grace hit rocks in in the Aland archipelago. Photo AFP

The Viking Line's “Grace” hit rocks on Saturday afternoon while sailing between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, shortly before a stopover in Mariehamn, in the Aland archipelago, Finland's coast guard said.

The passengers had to spend the night on board, though there was no immediate danger as it was not taking on water. No one was hurt in the incident.

A tug boat helped refloat the ferry in the small hours of Sunday morning, the coast guard said on Twitter.

After disembarking around 260 passengers at Mariehamn, it went on to its home port of Turku in Finland, a Viking Line spokeswoman told AFP Sunday. It would undergo repairs in the coming days, she added.

Although the cause of the accident has yet to be established, the coast guard said there were strong winds in the area at the time.

The company cancelled its Saturday ferry service, which was to have been taken by a smaller vessel, because of a storm warning.

In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aaland Island and the passengers had to be evacuated.