SHARE
COPY LINK

RWANDA

Swedish court charges man with genocide

A Swedish court on Monday charged a 53-year-old Rwandan-Swede with genocide, accusing him of having taken part in the massacres in Rwanda in 1994.

The man, who resides in Gävle in eastern Sweden, was not identified, but officials said he had been the subject of a Swedish investigation since April and had been arrested Thursday at Stockholm’s Bromma airport.

The prosecutor Evamaria Haggqvist suspects he participated in the Rwandan genocide between April 7 and mid-July 1994.

“We’re happy to be able to give a clear signal that Sweden is no safe haven for war criminals,” said Wretling to the TT news agency following the man’s arrest.

The accused, who holds both Swedish and Rwandan citizenship, denied the allegations during Monday’s hearing, held largely behind closed doors, the TT news agency reported, citing his defence lawyer.

Some 800,000 people, mainly minority Tutsis, were massacred by Hutu soldiers and extremist militias during the bloodbath, according to UN figures.

The case is the third major case Swedish police formed a special war crimes task forde.

Earlier this year, a Bosnian was sentenced to five years in prison for war crimes, the second person to have been convicted of that particular crime in Sweden after Jackie Arklöv.

A Kosovo Serb is also suspected of participating in a 1999 massacre during the Kosovo War, and will receive the court’s ruling on January 20th.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

KIDNAP

Kidnappers with chainsaw abduct man in Stockholm

A man has been arrested after armed kidnappers bundled a man into a van and drove off with him shortly after noon on Friday outside the Bromma Blocks shopping centre in Stockholm.

Kidnappers with chainsaw abduct man in Stockholm
The scene of the kidnapping in Stockholm. Photo: Maja Suslin/TT

Police were tight-lipped on the vehicle’s appearance and would not comment on the extent of the search for the missing man.

But newspaper Aftonbladet reported that several men had jumped out of a foreign-registered van after forcing the victim’s car off the road.

At least one of the kidnappers was armed with a chainsaw, the newspaper said.

“We are looking for the vehicle right now and we are questioning witnesses at the scene. It’s an ongoing operation,” police press spokesman Hesam Akbar told news agency TT.

And just after 15:30, authorities confirmed they had arrested a man suspected of involvement in the kidnapping. 

“I can't say more because we are looking for more people,” police spokesperson Alvin Näverberg told TT.

As of 16:00 on Friday evening the man who was abducted had not yet been found.