Swede dead after failed electric fence rescue
The Local/dl · 9 Jan 2012, 08:12
Published: 09 Jan 2012 08:12 GMT+01:00
The incident took place last Thursday in the northern Thai village of Ban Nhonshoug, the Aftonbladet newspaper reported.
The man, a native of Växjö in south central Sweden, was in Thailand with other family members to return the ashes of his recently deceased Thai wife to her home village following the couple's many years living together in Sweden.
The Swede and a Thai friend were returning home when they came across a dog that had gotten stuck in what appeared to be an ordinary barbed-wire fence.
The friend went over to help free the dog, not realizing, however, that the fence was also electrified.
He was instantly jolted by the electric current running through the fence, prompting the horrified Swede to rush over and attempt to rescue his friend.
But fence's strong current shocked the 47-year-old as well.
In the end, the dog, the 31-year-old Thai, and the Swede were killed in the incident.
A Swedish foreign ministry spokesperson confirmed for Aftonbladet that the 47-year-old died from an electric shock.
Local police are now investigating why the fence was carrying such a strong electric current.