SHARE
COPY LINK
SAAB BANKRUPT

SAAB

Several bids for Saab: administrator

Several companies have placed preliminary bids to buy bankrupt Swedish carmaker Saab, one of the administrators said on Tuesday, refusing to disclose their identities.

Several bids for Saab: administrator

“We have received a few indicative bids,” Hans Bergqvist told reporters in an audio conference, adding: “the indicative bids are interesting.”

He would not disclose who had placed the bids, nor the amounts involved but reiterated that the aim was to sell all of Saab, which filed for bankruptcy on December 19th, instead of selling off parts of the company.

He repeated that there were four or five parties interested in buying Saab. He said most of them were from abroad but at least one was from Sweden.

Swedish media have reported that Chinese carmaker Youngman placed a

preliminary bid last week of about two billion kronor (227 million euros, $298

million).

Youngman has long been interested in Saab and tried to snap it up before it declared bankruptcy, but those efforts were thwarted by the Swedish brand’s former owner GM, which balked at transferring the necessary technology licences.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CARS

Former Swedish Saab bosses appear in court

Swedish car maker Saab's former CEO Jan Åke Jonsson and the firm's former head lawyer Kristina Geers have appeared in court in Vänersborg in west Sweden, accused of falsifying financial documents shortly before the company went bankrupt in 2011.

Former Swedish Saab bosses appear in court
Saab's former CEO Jan Åke Jonsson. Photo: Karin Olander/TT
The pair are accused of falsifying the paperwork at the height of the Swedish company's financial difficulties at the start of the decade.
 
A third person – who has not been named in the Swedish media – is accused of assisting them by issuing false invoices adding up to a total of 30 million kronor ($3.55m).
 
According to court documents, the charges relate to the firm's business in Ukraine and the paperwork in question was signed just before former CEO Jan Åke Jonsson resigned.
 
Both Jonsson and Saab's former head lawyer Kristina Geers have admitted signing the papers but denied knowledge of the Ukranian firm implicated in the case.
 
All three suspects deny all the charges against them.
 

Saab's former head lawyer Kristina Geers. Photo:  Björn Larsson Rosvall/TT
 
Saab filed for bankruptcy at the end of 2011, after teetering on the edge of collapse for nearly two years.
 
Chief prosecutor Olof Sahlgren told the court in Vänersborg on Wednesday that the alleged crimes took place in March 2011, when Saab was briefly owned by the Dutch company Spyker Cars.
  
It was eventually bought by National Electric Vehicle Sweden (Nevs), a Chinese-owned company after hundreds of staff lost their jobs.
 
The car maker, which is based in west Sweden, has struggled to resolve serious financial difficulties by attracting new investors since the takeover.
 
In October 2014 it announced it had axed 155 workers, close to a third of its workforce.
 
Since 2000, Saab automobile has had no connection with the defence and aeronautics firm with the same name. It only produces one model today, the electric 9-3 Aero Sedan, mainly targeting the Chinese market.