SHARE
COPY LINK

SEXUAL ASSAULT

Swedish execs cleared of New York sex crimes

Charges against the two Swedes suspected of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in a New York hotel room have been dismissed.

Swedish execs cleared of New York sex crimes

“After conducting a thorough investigation that included but was not limited to interviewing relevant witnesses, viewing surveillance video and other hotel records and speaking extensively with the complainant we have concluded that we cannot prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” assistant district attorney David Smith, of the Manhattan district attorney’s office, said to the Betabeat newspaper.

Niklas Adalberth, 30, and Jens Saltin, 31 faced charges of allegedly attacking a 19-year-old woman from Texas at the W Hotel in Manhattan.

The men are both high-ranking executives at the Klarna e-commerce start-up.

Adalberth is the company’s co-founder, while Saltin works as Klarna’s Vice President of Sales in the Netherlands.

Defense attorney Andrea Zellan, who represented one of the Swedes, was delighted with the outcome.

“We have maintained from the outset that this case was based on a single, false and entirely baseless allegation that was not corroborated by any forensic, scientific, video or other witness testimony,” she said to Betabeat.

Adalberth and Saltin are now planning to return to their work at Klarna, the company wrote in a statement to Betabeat.

“Our employees did nothing wrong, did not break any law and should thus never have ended up in this very unfortunate situation. We now leave this incident behind us and welcome back our employees to their central roles within the company.”

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

SEXUAL ASSAULT

Swedish music festival cancels next year’s event amid rape reports

Following reported rapes and sex offences at this year's Bråvalla music festival, there will be no festival in 2018, the organisers said on Saturday.

Swedish music festival cancels next year's event amid rape reports
One person was reportedly raped during Håkan Hellström's concert at Bråvalla. Photo: Pontus Lundahl/TT
One of Sweden's largest music festivals, Bråvalla has been arranged outside the eastern Swedish town Norrköping every summer for the past five years, and this Saturday, July 1st, is the final day of the 2017 edition.
 
 
But the popular festival will not return in 2018 due to concerns over several cases of sex offences, the organizing company FKP Scorpio said in a press release on Saturday.
 
“Words cannot describe how incredibly sad we are about this, and we most seriously regret and condemn this. This is not f-ing okay. We do not accept this at our festival,” a festival representative wrote.
 
Police later said four rapes had been reported in total, 23 cases of sexual molestation (“sexuella ofredanden”), one case of sexual coercion, 13 assaults, 116 cases of minor narcotics offences and 97 thefts.

 

One person was reportedly raped during a Håkan Hellström concert.

 
The organizers did not say if or when the festival will return. Nor would they say whether the company's financial situation had anything to do with the cancellation – FKP Scorpio reported a loss of 75 million kronor ($8,904,500) in 2016.
 
“We don't have any further comments on that. We have issued a press release, and that's what applies here,” FKP press spokesperson Johanna Jonasson told Swedish broadcaster SVT.
 
Taking place near Norrköping in eastern Sweden, the Bråvalla festival was hit by a spate of reported rapes and sexual assault in 2016.
 
The British band Mumford and Sons, which headlined the 2016 festival, said they would boycott Bråvalla until they had had assurances from the organizers and police they were doing something to combat the problems of sexual violence.
 
 
Meanwhile, a debate about sexual molestation raged in Sweden in 2016 after it emerged that groups of boys had been groping girls at the We Are STHLM youth festival for two years running.