Police 'not told' of stabbing suspect's call

TT/The Local/pvs
TT/The Local/pvs - [email protected]
Police 'not told' of stabbing suspect's call

The 28-year-old man suspected of stabbing a 10-year-old girl in the throat at a Gothenburg school called and identified himself to emergency services immediately after the attack, but the information wasn't forwarded to the police.


At a remand hearing held Saturday, the man, through his lawyer, admitted to the stabbing, but claimed he never meant to kill the girl.

The 28-year-old confessed to stabbing the girl in the neck several times with a knife when she was out of the grounds of a primary school in Hjällbo on February 6th.

However, he never intended to kill the girl and rejected suspicions of attempted murder or manslaughter, but confessed to committing an act of aggravated assault.

The 28-year-old's lawyer Claes Östlund also said his client objected to be being held on remand at which point the judge ordered the rest of the hearing be held behind closed doors.

Following the hearing, the court ordered the man remanded in custody.

It also emerged on Saturday that shortly after the attack, the man called the SOS Alarm emergency service and said he had done something terrible, specifying his location and that he requested a police unit be dispatched.

However, SOS Alarm declined to forward this information to the police, according to a report in the Göteborgs-Posten (GP) daily.

The man then fled to another European country.

Police refused to comment on the report that emergency services had information about the attack that wasn't shared with police.

"We've decided not to comment on the information," detective Per-Olof Johansson of the Västra Götaland County police told the TT news agency.

After Swedish police issued an arrest warrant for the man following the attack, he reportedly turned himself in to local police in another European country.

Johansson confirmed that the 28-year-old was apprehended in Spain and that he arrived abck in Gothenburg on Friday night after being extradited by Spanish authorities.

However, he refused to confirm that the man turned himself in.

The man reportedly has no relation to the girl, and has told police that he was acting alone.

The girl is reportedly doing well after the incident and that despite suffering a minor infection in the stab wound, she has made a full recovery.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also