SHARE
COPY LINK

SHOOTING

Two men shot in Norrköping

Two men were gunned down in central Norrköping on Saturday night, with one of them still in a critical condition on Sunday morning.

Police continued the search for one or more perpetrators on Saturday night.

The police received a report of gunfire at a restaurant in St. Persgatan in central Norrköping at around 7.30pm. A man living nearby witnessed some of the events unfold and told news agency TT that he had heard three or four shots fired.

One of the victims of the shooting was left lying on the pavement, while the other man’s feet could be seen sticking out from the door of a tanning bed.

Both men were transferred to Vrinnevi hospital for emergency surgery.

Later in the evening, local Östergötland county health authority announced that a 33-year-old man from Norrköping was in a life threatening condition.

The other injured man is 35 and is also based in Norrköping. His condition was described as serious.

Both men remained in intensive care on Sunday morning.

A witness told the Aftonbladet daily that the shooting was preceded by the assault of another person on St. Persgatan.

“None of the shooting victims feature in our records. There is no indication that this is gang related,” said police spokesperson Joakim Stenman to news agency TT shortly after 11pm.

The police are continuing to conduct interviews with witnesses and to carried out a forensic examination of the location. It has not yet been possible to establish whether the attack was carried by one of more perpetrators.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

SHOOTING

Malmö pushes ahead with US anti-gang method after shootings

The recent spate of explosions and shootings in Malmö has not knocked the local police's pioneering anti-gang project off course, local police chief Stefan Sintéus said on Wednesday.

Malmö pushes ahead with US anti-gang method after shootings
Ten representatives of the agencies involved in Sluta Skjut gave a press conference on Wednesday. Photo: Johan Nilsson/TT
Under the city's Sluta Skjut (Stop Shooting) scheme, nine known gang members were on Tuesday forced to attend a meeting where they were confronted by police, nurses, bereaved parents, social workers and others, all of whom sought to convince them to leave their criminal lives. 
 
Sintèus told a press conference that he was worried that the fatal shooting of Jaffar, a 15-year-old boy, on Saturday night in a pizzeria near Malmö's Möllevånstorget square, would change the dynamic of the so-called 'call-in'.
 
“I can honestly say that I was worried before this call-in,” he said. “I would like to say that this was a call-in where we could tell with all of them that it sunk in.” 
 
The nine men had all been sentenced for various crimes, and had to attend the meeting as part of their probation. Three of those invited chose not to come, thereby risking a 15-day prison sentence. 
 
READ ALSO: 
 
The meeting was the third since the Sluta Skjut project began last year. The project uses the Group Violence Intervention technique developed by Professor David Kennedy, who leads the National Network for Safe Communities (NNSC) at John Jay College in New York. 
 
NNSC claims that the technique cut youth homicide in Boston by 63 percent and the number of shootings by 27 percent when it was launched there in the 1990s. 
 
The police briefly uploaded a video of a rehearsal involved carried out before the event took place on Tuesday but later took it down. The Sydsvenskan newspaper published a clip on its website (In Swedish). 
 
The video shows Dejan, from the local probation services; Sedat Arif, a Malmö city councillor from Macedonia who explained his tough upbringing in Rosengård, Anna Kosztovics, who leads the unit helping gang members leave crime, and Ebba, a deacon from the Swedish church, as well as two police officers and Ola Sjöstrand, Malmö's chief prosecutor.
 
 
 
Boel Håkansson, with the Swedish police's national unit NOA, said that so far 30 young men had shown interest in leaving criminal life. “That's one result of the work in Sluta Skjut, but we have a lot more to do,” she said. 
 
She also stressed that, even after the shootings last Saturday and on Monday, the number of fatal shootings since the project began was still down dramatically on 2018. 
 
At Tuesday's meeting, the nine young men were lectured by Lizette Vargas, a nurse who has helped treat some of those admitted to Malmö University Hospital with bullet wounds. 
 
“I told them what it looks like when someone comes into the accident and emergency department with bullet wounds,” she said at the press conference, according to the Sydsvenskan newspaper. “I explained how we in our profession feel when we look after a trauma patient and handle their friends and relatives.” 
 
She said that she felt the men had been affected by what she said. “They became upset. We had made contact when our eyes met. You can tell it's sinking in.”  
 
At the meeting on Tuesday there were more than 70 people, including representatives of sports clubs, religious organisations, and the local city government, all of whom offered various services to help the men leave criminal life. 
 
A mother, whose adult son had died of an illness, told the men what it was like to lose a child. 
 
But as well as the soft sell, there was a harder message. 
 
“We are not going to accept that either you, or those you hang about with, use guns or violence,” Sintéus told them. “If you choose to continue doing that nonetheless, the police and other authorities are going to have a minute focus on everyone in the most violent group.” 
 
Under Group Violence Intervention, police put the lives of those deemed to still be engaged in violent crime under the microscope, carrying out frequent spot checks on them. 
 
“We know who you are and who you hang out with,” added Glen Sjögren, who has worked for Malmö police for 40 years.  “We do not want more young kids to end their lives in a pool of blood.” 
SHOW COMMENTS