“I am closely watched and I know that my cell phone has been bugged on several occasions. Text messages have also been sent from my cell phone, in both Swedish and English, on various occasions and to various contacts,” Saab chief executive Håkan Buskhe told Sweden’s Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) in an interview.
He suggested he was a target of industrial espionage, but did not identify by name the people or companies which may have been behind the action.
“You’re monitored, one way or another,” he said, adding: “Sure, I’ve been surprised when I see how our competitors work.”
Bern’s Federal Council announced in November its decision to purchase 22 Gripen for an estimated 3.1 billion francs ($3.2 billion), reportedly the cheapest of three offers.
French planemaker Dassault’s Rafale and the Eurofighter, produced by the European EADS consortium, were the other bidders.
No contract has been signed yet, and in February Dassault reportedly made a counter-offer undercutting the Swedish deal, prompting Saab to review its price.
Since then, several Swiss media outlets have revealed classified documents questioning the technical capabilities of the Gripen.
The Swiss defence ministry has repeatedly stood by its choice of Gripen, but in April the federal government delayed the purchase until 2020.
A Swiss parliamentary commission is currently examining whether the government’s selection process was conducted properly, and a referendum on the purchase is expected.
Buskhe said on Friday he was “not concerned” about those outcomes.
“I know Switzerland has the ability to evaluate the various alternatives … I don’t think it would be right for Saab to launch a political campaign in another country.”
Gripen is already in service with the Swedish, Czech, Hungarian, South African and Thai air forces, and negotiations are underway in Brazil, Denmark and India.