Man jailed for running online file-sharing site

A 34-year-old man has been sentenced to prison in Sweden after he was found to be behind an illegal file-sharing website.

Man jailed for running online file-sharing site

The man, who lives outside of Varberg in southern Sweden, was sentenced to one year in prison for breaching copyright laws.

The 34-year-old ran a file-sharing site between 2007 and 2009, allowing users to illegally download copyrighted material, including movies, games and music, according to the Hallands Nyheter newspaper (HN).

He was convicted of aggravated accounting offences, acting as an accessory to copyright offences, and aggravated tax crimes, according to the Expressen newspaper.

The man made over 2,000 files available to the public and is alleged to have earned more than 1.5 million kronor ($209,553) without paying taxes, wrote HN.

However, as investigators were unable to pinpoint exactly how much the 34-year-old earned, the court denied the prosecutor’s request for the man to be handed a 390,000 kronor fine.

On top of the Varberg district court’s decision to sentence the man to one year in prison, he will be furthermore prohibited from running a business for three years upon release.

As the man uploaded the files for other people to download, and not for himself, the court has convicted him as an accomplice to the crime rather than as the perpetrator.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Police warned ahead of crazed knife attack

Friends of the man who went on a crazed knife attack in Varberg in western Sweden on Sunday, killing one and injuring two and leading to his own death, had previously warned police over his state of mind.

Police warned ahead of crazed knife attack

“The information was that he was not feeling very well and that they were worried about him,” said Jonas Bergman at Halland police to the GT Expressen daily.

A description of the man was also provided to police who were unable to prevent the knife attacks which led to one woman’s death and two men being rushed to hospital with stab wounds.

Police were called at around 10am on Sunday morning following the stabbing of a man on Gamla Kyrkbacken in central Varberg.

While police were hunting the suspect an hour later reports filtered in of further stabbings on Lilla Drottninggatan. A man in his late teens and an elderly lady are reported to have been stabbed at the location.

The suspect was later shot by police after refusing to surrender his weapon and subsequently died of his injuries.

Early Monday morning, there was no new information about the condition of the two men stabbed condition, according to Varberg Hospital.

TT/The Local/pvs

Follow The Local on Twitter