SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Norway issues warrant for wanted Swede

A European arrest warrant has been filed for a 27-year-old Swede, wanted in Norway for the lethal beating of a female bouncer in Porsgrunn in March this year.

Norway issues warrant for wanted Swede

“He is now wanted in the whole Schengen area,” said prosecutor John H Borgen to Norwegian news site Varden.

The man, who had been released on bail, had to report to police three times a week, but failed to turn up on July 16th and has been missing since. Police are now intensifying efforts to find him by issuing a description and making him wanted in 26 countries, including Sweden.

Police found the female bouncer lying on the floor after responding to a report of a fight at a pub in Porsgrunn, in southeast Norway, on a Saturday night in March.

The 27-year-old was charged with causing bodily harm resulting in death, as the woman had died in hospital the day after the attack. However, the 27-year-old denied the allegations.

“He denies committing an offence and said under questioning that he doesn’t recall what happened,” said Borgen at the time of the man’s arrest.

Early reports suggested police were unsure whether the suspect had hit the victim, whom they initially believed may have suffered a heart attack or an epileptic fit.

However, when it later came to light that the man had assaulted other members of staff by punching them, police arrested him and brought him in for questioning, wrote daily Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) at the time.

“I haven’t been in contact with him for a while, and I don’t know where he is,” the man’s defence lawyer recently said to Varden.

The man is also under suspicion for several cases of sexual and violent crimes in Sweden and Norwegian officials have decided he is going to be extradited.

The Local/rm

twitter.com/thelocalsweden

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ALMEDALEN 2022

Attacker ‘severely disturbed’ during stabbing at Swedish political festival

Theodor Engström, the 33-year-old man who stabbed psychiatrist Ing-Marie Wieselgren to death at the Almedalen political festival in July, was seriously psychiatrically disturbed at the time of his attack, forensic psychiatrists have ruled.

Attacker 'severely disturbed' during stabbing at Swedish political festival

According to the Hela Gotland newspaper the Swedish National Board of Forensic Medicine has ruled that the man was so disturbed at the time of his attack he had lost the ability to understand the consequences of his actions, and has as a result recommended that he be given psychiatric treatment rather than a prison term.

The agency said that Engström had still been disturbed at the time he was given psychiatric assessment, and warned that there was a risk that Engström would commit further criminal acts. 

“This is a question which has relevance at a future stage,” said prosecutor Henrik Olin. “It means he cannot be sentenced to jail, but will instead receive psychiatric care. But it is not going to change how the investigation is carried out.” 

READ ALSO: What do we know about the Almedalen knife attack?

Engström stabbed Wieselgren, who worked as psychiatric coordinator for the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, as she was on the way to take part on a discussion at the Almedalen political festival. She died in hospital later that day. 

Engström has admitted to carrying out the attack, telling police that he intended to make a protest against the state of psychiatric healthcare in Sweden. 

SHOW COMMENTS