Subway robber probed for 50 other crimes
18 Sep 2012, 09:02
Published: 18 Sep 2012 09:02 GMT+02:00
- Suspect admits to 'ruthless' subway robbery (17 Sep 12)
- Police catch 'ruthless' subway robber (15 Sep 12)
- New footage of 'ruthless' subway robber (14 Sep 12)
The suspect was arrested on Friday after footage of him mugging of drunken 38-year-old man who had passed out and fallen onto the tracks of the Sandsborg metro station was broadcast last week on TV3's "Efterlyst" ('Wanted') television programme.
After relieving the man of his valuables, the 28-year-old thief then left his victim lying on the tracks where he was later hit by a train.
Under questioning by police, the suspect admitted to robbing the unconscious man, saying he didn't report that the man was on the tracks as he feared he would be blamed for the fall.
Now police are looking into whether the 28-year-old may be behind as many as 50 similar thefts in which drunken subway passengers were robbed.
"The only thing we can use against him is that he's been caught on film" said police inviestigator Dan Östman to the Expressen newspaper.
He explained that police are now compiling a list of similar thefts on the Stockholm public transit system between June 1st and September 8th of this year.
"We have a number of other crimes using similar methods that we're looking at," said Östman.
On Monday, prosecutors filed a motion to have the 28-year-old held on remand. A decision on the motion is expected to be issued by the Stockholm District Court on Tuesday.