After the security footage surfaced last week of the mugging of an unconscious man who had fallen onto the tracks at a Stockholm metro station, a manhunt ensued that resulted in the capture on Friday of a 28-year-old suspect.
The suspect spoke out during a remand hearing on Tuesday, offering his condolences to the victim, Johnny, who was hit by an oncoming train and has had to have his left foot amputated.
“Sorry, I stole so I could afford to buy food and treat my own damaged leg. It will never happen again,” the man said during interrogation, according to the Aftonbladet newspaper.
The 28-year-old was ordered held on remand Tuesday.
Meanwhile, 38-year-old Johnny, who has undergone several operations on his legs, managed to get into a wheelchair for the first time on Tuesday and was visited by his daughter, Elsa.
“I’m doing all I can to fight on,” he said through his partner Louise on TV3’s “Efterlyst” (‘Wanted’) television programme.
As well as the foot amputation, doctors have explained that the man’s right knee will never be correctly in place again, however the family is staying positive.
“Things are moving forward, there’s nothing that’s infected and the fever has begun to go down. Today has been a wonderful today, as he has been able to sit for a few moments in a wheelchair,” Louise said on the programme.
“It was very emotional for us all. Elsa shrieked in delight when her daddy came along in the wheelchair,” she said.
Meanwhile, the family is happy with the response from Sweden and the world following the publication of the video.
“It’s unbelievable how this has moved people and the response it’s got. Unbelievable. We are grateful, I can’t describe it in words,” she said.
The robbery occurred at 3am on Sunday September 8th at Sandsborg station in southern Stockholm.
Police have since linked the man to at least one other crime, although it is believed that he may be connected to as many as 50 other similar incidents.