Dogs save couple from burning country manor

Dogs save couple from burning country manor
A Swedish couple were saved by their dogs when a fire ravaged through a large country manor near Landskrona in southern Sweden on Sunday night, completely destroying parts of the building.

“My husband woke me up. He had been awoken by the fire alarm and by our four dogs barking,” said one of the owners to local daily Kvällsposten.

Fire fighters from five stations in north western Skåne struggled for six hours to save at least half of the house. However, a recent rebuild had left the building with new inner ceilings where the fire could spread uncontrollably. Controlling the fire was also made more difficult by the lack of firewalls in the attic.

“It is a long building and large parts were already burnt through when we arrived. Some parts of the house were completely destroyed,” said firefighter Anna Elofsson to the paper.

The family has told the emergency services that they think they know the cause of the fire:

“Apparently there were candles lit in the conservatory. We also know that this is where the fire started and it is in one of the parts of the house that were completely burned down,” Elofsson told Kvp.

According to the fire fighters, the candles had been burning for some time when the house caught fire. The couple had bedrooms in different parts of the house and in their desperate flight to escape the flames, they were unable to retrieve anything of value from the burning building.

“But we are simply grateful that we are out. It was a terrible ordeal. Almost our entire home was destroyed,” the woman told Kvällsposten.

The Local/rm

Member comments

Become a Member to leave a comment.Or login here.