Two injured in Karlskoga weapons factory blast

Two men were taken to hospital on Thursday afternoon after an explosion in a Saab Dynamics facility, manufacturing military materiel in Karlskoga, in central Sweden.

“They were handling a small amount of gunpowder and for some reason it ignited,” said Thomas Carlsén of the local emergency services to news agency TT.

Three people were in the immediate area when the gunpowder exploded. Two were taken to hospital, a 55-year-old with burns and a 46-year-old who was suffering from shock.

The two men were first taken to the local Karlskoga Lasarett hospital and then transferred to the Örebro University Hospital. By Thursday evening, the 55-year-old’s condition was reportedly “serious but not life-threatening”, according to local paper Nerikes Allehanda.

“The accident happened during a manufacturing process, said Karin Walka, spokeswoman for Saab Dynamics to TT.

She was unable to disclose exactly what it was that the men had been making when the explosion occurred.

Both the men’s families and the other employees at the factory were informed of what had happened after the incident.

“It is of course unfortunate when people get hurt. We think of them and hope that they are doing well,” Walka said.

Saab Dynamics is a subsidiary of the Saab Defence Group, specializing in military materiel such as missile systems and anti-tank systems.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Gothenburg apartment blast suspect found dead

Prosecutors have said that the man suspected as being behind a detonation in Gothenburg last week has been found dead on Wednesday after an apparent suicide.

Police by a Gothenburg pier
Police close to where the suspect's body was found in the water. Photo: Adam Ihse/TT

Named as Mark Lorentzon by Swedish media, the man was suspected of being behind the pre-dawn blast last Tuesday that injured 16 people at the building where he lived.

City workers pulled a body out of a central Gothenburg waterway early Wednesday that “was identified as that of the man sought by police and prosecutors… after the explosion in a building,” prosecutors said in a statement.

They added that suicide was the most plausible cause of death. The man was the subject of an international arrest warrant issued earlier this week.

The suspect, who had been due to be evicted from the building on the day of the explosion, had vanished without a trace.

The blast, which sparked a major fire, landed 16 people in hospital including four with serious injuries, and residents of 140 apartments were evacuated.