'No civil war in Somalia': Migration Board
13 Nov 2012, 14:18
Published: 13 Nov 2012 14:18 GMT+01:00
- Somalis fare better in the US than Sweden: report (05 Nov 12)
- Sweden to get 50,000 asylum seekers in 2013 (29 Oct 12)
- Somali woman 'forced to pour milk on herself' (29 Aug 12)
"The fighting isn't regular enough to warrant calling it a civil war, but it is still a difficult situation," Migration Board legal expert Fredrik Beijer told news agency TT.
But now that the agency has changed its assessment of the situation in the country from one of “war” to “serious adversity”, the evaluation process will focus on the threat against the individual asylum seeker rather than the wider conflict.
"The situation in the country is such that there will be no need for really serious individual reasons but they will no longer be able to point to the general situation in the country," said Beijer.
So far, some 90 percent of all asylum-seeking Somalis have been able to stay – and more or less everyone who has arrived from the areas worst hit by fighting has been granted a permit, but with the new rules Beijer thinks this figure will fall to about 80 to 85 percent.
Migration Board representatives visited Somalia in June to evaluate the situation in the country. They concluded that a joint offensive by the Somali interim government and the African Union against the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabaab guerrilla movement had been successful, with the group being forced back in large areas of the country.
“The al-Shabaab movement has been severely weakened and the real fighting has ceased,” the agency stated in its decision.
The improved security situation makes it possible for people within the troubled areas of Somalia to make their escape to safer areas of the country, according to the agency.
“This is something we will need to assess now,” Beijer told TT.