Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Christmas buffet gives 75 Swedes food poisoning

Share this article

Christmas buffet gives 75 Swedes food poisoning
10:53 CET+01:00
Christmas dinner was spoiled at a restaurant in Sweden's far north after suspected food poisoning left over 70 diners doubled over with illness.

The Christmas buffet on the BBB ferry in Luleå made 75 people from five different companies sick in the past week, according to the local Norrbottens Kuriren newspaper.

This equates to one in three diners since last Tuesday.

“This is clearly food poisoning, I can say this much without even seeing the results from our tests,” said Anders Österlund, an infectious disease doctor in Norbotten, to the paper.

Diners complained of stomach illness and fever.

“This is the worst thing that can happen at a restaurant, that guests get food poisoning. What's happened is strange because we are very careful, all leftovers are thrown away,” said Johan Isaksson who works at the restaurant.

“And we have rigorous rules when it comes to personal hygiene.”

According to the paper, the same food was served at another restaurant but no one reported falling ill.

After an investigation by authorities, the restaurant has stopped serving their Christmas buffet.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
Become a Member or sign-in to leave a comment.

From our sponsors

Swedish for programmers: Tailored Swedish courses for techies

How do you get a job in Sweden's competitive tech industry if you're new to the country and don't speak the language? Enter SFX-IT, a specialised language course tailored for foreign techies living in Sweden.

Advertisement