Advertisement

Vets warn of Christmas pet perils

Share this article

Vets warn of Christmas pet perils
16:39 CET+01:00
Ribbons, dark chocolate, bun dough and tree lights are just some of the seasonal items that Swedes' pets have swallowed so far this Christmas.

Christmas can be perilous for pets. Animal hospitals in Stockholm have received several cats and dogs with dangerous consumption habits.

"We have received several dogs who have eaten chocolate this weekend," Hanna Almendra, a vet at an animal hospital in the Stockholm suburb of Bagarmossen, told the TT news agency.

"We will probably see more once people start opening their presents and dogs get wrapping paper stuck in their throats."

"Several animals have been admitted today. We usually receive dogs who eat chocolate and cats who eat ribbons," said Lisa Bång, animal carer at the Södra Djursjukhuset animal hospital.

Christmas flowers, raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in pets and dark chocolate can be poisonous for dogs.

Tree-climbing cats can also get electric shocks from chewing on Christmas tree lights, while gluttonous dogs can get inebriated by eating dough.

"Recently there was this dog who ate three whole saffron buns - plastic bags, bag sealers and all," said Cecilia Winter, spokeswoman for the Agria insurance company.

Winter urged pet owners to keep a close look on their four-legged friends over Christmas.

"If your dog starts vomiting or wobbling you should contact a vet."

TT/The Local/nr Follow The Local on Twitter

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
3,774 Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement