Swedish climber killed by avalanche in Norway

A 32-year-old Swedish climber died of his injuries on Thursday evening after being carried off by an avalanche in Norway earlier in the day.

Swedish climber killed by avalanche in Norway

The accident in Hemsedal in central Norway occurred on Thursday morning. The man died of his injuries in the afternoon, a spokesperson for Ullevåls sjukhus in Oslo confirmed.

He was in a group of three climbers planning to scale the ice on Skohornsfjället’s south face. The avalanche that pulled him with it measured 50 by 200 metres, reported the TT news agency.

“It appears they hadn’t begun the climb yet but were still on their way up when they were hit,” Stein Tronstad at the Norwegian Climbers Association said.

Emergency services rallied after the accident and a tracking dog found the man within two hours.

He was suffering extreme hypothermia when he was flown to the Norwegian capital for treatment. The hospital announced his death at 8.30pm.

He is the second victim of an avalanche in the Hemsedal area this year. On Christmas Eve, a 40-year-old man died when he was hit while skiing off-piste.

On December 27th, another man was taken to hospital after being struck by an avalanche, also off-piste.

TT/The Local/at

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port

UPDATE: A ferry that ran aground next to islands between Finland and Sweden with nearly 430 crew and passengers on board, was refloated and heading for port, its owners said Sunday.

Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port
The Viking Line ship Grace hit rocks in in the Aland archipelago. Photo AFP

The Viking Line's “Grace” hit rocks on Saturday afternoon while sailing between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, shortly before a stopover in Mariehamn, in the Aland archipelago, Finland's coast guard said.

The passengers had to spend the night on board, though there was no immediate danger as it was not taking on water. No one was hurt in the incident.

A tug boat helped refloat the ferry in the small hours of Sunday morning, the coast guard said on Twitter.

After disembarking around 260 passengers at Mariehamn, it went on to its home port of Turku in Finland, a Viking Line spokeswoman told AFP Sunday. It would undergo repairs in the coming days, she added.

Although the cause of the accident has yet to be established, the coast guard said there were strong winds in the area at the time.

The company cancelled its Saturday ferry service, which was to have been taken by a smaller vessel, because of a storm warning.

In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aaland Island and the passengers had to be evacuated.