SHARE
COPY LINK

ACCIDENT

Students questioned over Stockholm school blast

Police have called several students in for questioning after an apparently home-made explosive device blew up in the hand of a teacher at a Stockholm school, with the blast injuring at least eleven students and two more adults on Wednesday.

Students questioned over Stockholm school blast

“I didn’t have much time to think, it was like a shock,” Zakarias Labidi, a 13-year-old student who received minor injuries in the blast, told the TT news agency.

The incident occurred in a classroom at the Kvarnbergsskolan in Huddinge, south of Stockholm, just after midday on Wednesday.

Four people were hospitalized with minor injuries, and ten others were also injured. Damage to the building was limited.

Later in the afternoon, police called in four young people for questioning, according to the Aftonbladet newspaper. A witness said one of them had built an explosive device.

“He’d seen how to do it on the internet,” the witness said.

Emergency workers told TT that the explosion involved a plastic bottle that contained some sort of liquid, but further details about the contents remain unknown.

Student Zakarias Labidi explained that the liquid contained “bits of foil” and was hurled into the room from another floor.

“It landed about two metres from our table, then a teacher came to pick it up and throw it away. Then, she noticed it was warm and then it exploded in her hand. Liquid went all over her and on some of the other students,” he told TT.

Emergency services directed students to a nearby community and recreation centre following the incident.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

EXPLOSION

Gothenburg apartment blast suspect found dead

Prosecutors have said that the man suspected as being behind a detonation in Gothenburg last week has been found dead on Wednesday after an apparent suicide.

Police by a Gothenburg pier
Police close to where the suspect's body was found in the water. Photo: Adam Ihse/TT

Named as Mark Lorentzon by Swedish media, the man was suspected of being behind the pre-dawn blast last Tuesday that injured 16 people at the building where he lived.

City workers pulled a body out of a central Gothenburg waterway early Wednesday that “was identified as that of the man sought by police and prosecutors… after the explosion in a building,” prosecutors said in a statement.

They added that suicide was the most plausible cause of death. The man was the subject of an international arrest warrant issued earlier this week.

The suspect, who had been due to be evicted from the building on the day of the explosion, had vanished without a trace.

The blast, which sparked a major fire, landed 16 people in hospital including four with serious injuries, and residents of 140 apartments were evacuated.

SHOW COMMENTS