SHARE
COPY LINK

PRISON

Subway robber suspected of Paris killing

The man who robbed a drunken man in Stockholm as he lay on the subway train tracks is now suspected of killing someone in Paris in 2011, after a French television viewer recognized the thief from security camera footage.

Subway robber suspected of Paris killing

The 28-year-old thief made headlines worldwide in September when he left a drunken man on the train tracks after picking his pockets at the Sandsborg metro stop in southern Stockholm.

Minutes later, the robbery victim was hit by a train and has since had part of his leg amputated.

Now, a French television viewer has said he recognizes the man from security footage from a 2011 killing in Paris. The French citizen alerted friends in Sweden, who then contacted the police about their friend’s suspicion that the subway robber was a wanted killer.

The 28-year-old is now suspected of manslaughter, according to Johan Sone of the National Bureau of Investigation (Rikskriminalpolisen, NBI).

“Swedish and French police have worked together and have succeeded in connecting the man who is currently in custody for the aggravated subway theft to aggravated assault and manslaughter in Paris,” he told Sveriges Television (SVT).

“He is suspected for a crime that took place in January 2011.”

The thief, a Tunisian citizen, was sentenced late last year to 18 months in prison for aggravated robbery,

After serving his sentence he will be extradited to France to face an investigation and potential charges.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

COURT

Swedish man locked up for porn surfer extortion

A Swedish man who sent bills to thousands of alleged porn surfers and threatened to publish their names if they failed to pay has been sentenced to two and a half years' jail for extortion.

Swedish man locked up for porn surfer extortion
A Swedish man has been sentenced to prison. Photo: Hasse Holmberg/SCANPIX

The 42-year-old, who had acquired the Swedish rights for streaming videos on a foreign website, sent bills to people he claimed had watched the clips, demanding payment ranging from tens to hundreds of euros.

For those who refused to pay, he raised the amount and threatened to call the police or publish their names on an online “porn blacklist” detailing which videos they had watched and then refused to pay for.

He admitted to 31 cases of aggravated extortion and to 526 cases of attempted extortion. The offences took place in 2012 and 2013.

“The district court has determined that the plaintiffs were subjected to aggravated extortion in the cases where it is proven that they received a bill of this kind,” a court in Malmö, southern Sweden, said in a statement on Monday.

The man told the regional daily Sydsvenskan in 2013 that he had earned millions of kronor (hundreds of thousands of dollars) legally through his website from users who had agreed to the prices mentioned in its terms and conditions.

Although users never left their contact details on the site, he was able to trace them through a list of IP addresses he bought from Sweden's largest internet service provider.