87-year-old’s grenades prompt police panic

A police station in western Stockholm was evacuated in panic on Thursday after an elderly man turned in two grenades for confiscation.

87-year-old's grenades prompt police panic

Since March 1st, a weapons amnesty has been underway in Sweden allowing residents to turn in their weapons over to police without facing any criminal penalties.

However, when an 87-year-old man brought in two grenades to a police station in Vällingby in western Stockholm on Thursday, concerned staff members were left in a state of panic.

“The reaction was swift. We evacuated the whole police station and a nearby building was cordoned off,” Peter Sarman of the local police told news website Nyheter24.

“It’s only specially trained police officers who can determine whether such grenades are armed or not. We were forced to play it safe.”

The grenades, however, were deemed to be inactive, and the police took to their Facebook page to explain that such situations should be avoided in the future.

“Grenades can detonate during transportation,” they warned, adding that bomb technicians should be called in when such weapons are concerned.

They added that the amnesty does not include explosives, only firearms.

On Monday, police in Trollhätten in western Sweden were also left with a grenade in a bag from state-run alcohol monopoly chain Systembolaget. The grenade was believed to be from World War I.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Swedish police remove sculpture mistaken for suicide victim

Police on the island of Gotland removed a public sculpture from the Galgberget nature reserve near Visby on the grounds that it is just too creepy.

Swedish police remove sculpture mistaken for suicide victim
The gallows at Galgeberget. Photo: Artifex/WikiCommons
According to local news site Hela Gotland, someone was out for a stroll on Galgeberget (the Gallows Hill) on Wednesday when they saw what they thought was a body hanging after a suicide. Local police were contacted but when they went to investigate they instead found a sculpture by artist Jessica Lundeberg. 
The artwork, entitled ‘The Watcher in the Woods’, is a partially transparent plate sculpture that looks like a spooky little girl. 
Despite discovering that the suspected suicide victim was actually artwork, police determined that Lundeberg’s piece could scare others and thus took the sculpture down. 
“It was decided that if it were to remain, more people would likely be frightened in the same way,” Gotland police spokesman Ayman Aboulaich told Radio P4 Gotland. 
Lundeberg told Hela Gotland that the sculpture has been at Galgeberget since a public art project last summer and that this was the first time it had caused any concern. She said ‘The Watcher in the Woods’ was the only piece that was allowed to remain after the end of the project. But now it is there no more. 
Lundeberg has taken the sculpture back to her studio. While she hopes it will eventually return to Galgeberget, the artist told Hela Gotland it seems unlikely.  
She said that the sculpture was damaged by police. 
“It was ragged, dismantled and broken. I was horrified when I saw it,” she said. 
Police have reportedly promised to pay any necessary repair costs.
Although the person who reported the sculpture to the police has not spoken with the media, their jump to conclusions could perhaps be attributed to the nature reserve’s macabre history. Galgeberget is still home to gallows that were used to hang criminals for centuries. The last execution to be held at the site was in 1845, according to Hela Gotland