Suspected cat killer arrested in Gothenburg

A man suspected of killing at least nine pet cats in western Sweden was arrested by Gothenburg police on Thursday afternoon.

Suspected cat killer arrested in Gothenburg

The man is suspected of animal cruelty stretching back as far as November 2011, and which was carried out up until as recently as Wednesday, when a cat was found hanging dead outside its owner’s home in the Frölunda neighbourhood of Gothenburg.

Police believe the feline was killed in nearby Högsbo, where six other cats had been tortured, slit open, and hung from trees in the past seven weeks.

The arrested man confessed to the crimes on Thursday, according to the Expressen newspaper.

“He has been detained and is in questioning, but we have no comments on what has been said,” Björ Blixter of the local police told the TT news agency.

Further information has not been revealed as the suspect is very young and the investigation is in its very early stages.

In April, Högsbo residents organized a demonstration to voice their concerns and anger about the slew of killings.

“We want to push for the establishment of an animal protection unit within Gothenburg police,” demo organizer Lotta Lagerström told the TT news agency

A 34-year-old man was arrested over Easter on suspicion of having carried out the gruesome feline killings, but was released after three days of questioning.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Shopkeeper jailed for ‘torture’ of three teens

A Stockholm shopkeeper has been jailed for two years for locking up three teenage boys in his store's cellar for ten hours, where he mimicked aspects of water boarding on one of them.

The shopkeeper, who was armed with a drill and knives, suspected that the teens were behind two previous break-ins at the store in Årsta, southern Stockholm.

When the trio was in the man’s shop in late January, the shopkeeper managed to capture and detain the teens with the help of three other men. He then took them to the cellar of the shop, where he kept them for ten hours as he tried to force a confession from them.

The boys, aged 14, 15, and 16, feared for their lives during the ordeal. One of them reported that the shopkeeper placed a wet towel over his face and poured a bucket of water over his head.

The court considered the abuse was “close to pure torture”, according to the Mitti newspaper.

On Monday, the shopkeeper was sentenced to two years in prison for kidnapping, aggravated coercion, robbery, and abuse. One of the man’s accomplices was also sentenced to two years and four months, while a third was sentenced to community service. The fourth suspect is awaiting a the verdict of a psychiatric evaluation before he is sentenced.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter