First conviction handed down after Husby riots

A 26-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for his role in the unrest that plagued Husby and other Stockholm suburbs in May, making him the first person to be convicted in connection to the disturbances that sparked headlines across the globe.

First conviction handed down after Husby riots

The man was sentenced on Thursday to six months in prison for aggravated vandalism after he set two cars on fire in late May.

He was also convicted of making illegal threats, unlawful driving, drunk driving, and drug crimes, according to Sveriges Radio (SR).

In addition, the 26-year-old has been ordered to pay 100,000 kronor ($15,000) in damages.

IN PICTURES: See the damage from the Husby fires

The convicted man was previously known by police and was on probation at the time of the attacks, which took place in the second half of May this year.

SEE ALSO: Read more stories from the Husby unrest

The unrest, which began in Husby and spread to other Stockholm suburbs, was believed to have been sparked by the killing of a 69-year-old machete-wielding man by police officers.

An estimated 100 cars were torched on the first night of the attacks, and the week of unrest that ensured left store windows smashed and schools scorched. Police officers and fire fighters were also pelted with stones on several occasions.

While the following nights of unrest were not as severe as the first, the continued violence and vandalism attracted the attention of the world media, and raised questions about segregation problems between Stockholm’s inner and outer suburbs.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze

Emergency services in Stockholm were continuing on Tuesday morning to tackle a fire that started in a bus depot almost 24 hours earlier.

Stockholm firefighters tackle bus depot blaze
File photo of a fire engine in Stockholm: Pontus Lundahl / TT

The fire, which began at around 10.30am on Monday, is likely to cause problems with traffic diversions and irregular public transport throughout Tuesday, according to SL, the company which runs the capital city's public transport.

“It's still burning and we don't know yet how long we will need to be there. Probably the whole day,” said Hans Eriksson from the Stockholm fire service. “Now we are concentrating on protecting the other surrounding buildings.”

The fire began in connection with work on the roof of the building, which contains a large bus depot and the connected offices.

Eriksson said: “It's an old building with a roof built in a complicated way and construction work, so we haven't wanted to sent people up to the roof and fight the fire from within. That's another reason it's taken longer.”

No buses are reported damaged as most of the fleet were on Stockholm's roads at the time of the fire.

Police have opened an investigation into carelessness endangering of the public.